Vacuum advance canister rebuild?

Aaron65

My '53's vacuum canister finally sprung a leak (it may be original)...Luckily, I bought a NOS one several years ago in anticipation of this happening. Of course, that one will likely take a dirt nap one of these days, too. Therefore, I'd like to have the original rebuilt, because I plan to own the Special forever, if possible. Anyone know of a rebuilder? It looks like Bob's isn't doing it right now.

Is it possible you can find the leak using forced air (compressor) and putting the vacuum tank in a tub of water to check for bubbles? Maybe when you pinpoint it, you could fix it with JB weld? I'm not sure about the 53 tank location, but on a 57 it is hidden behind the inner fender inside the drivers side fender, unseen. Just a thought on repair..good luck!

Kanter also has these. It's exchange with them - buy first and return for core deposit. Not sure exactly what they do with the core - the one I got looked all new, and I had to file one of the mounting tab holes for it to fit, but it wasn't hard to do.

Not being argumentative here but can some one describe what a "rebuild" a on a vacuum can would entail. There are no moving parts so nothing to replace. If it leaks a spot of braze or even epoxy fixes that. Add maybe an internal sealer like a gas tank. So other than a cosmetic once over I can't see it qualifying as "rebuilt" rather than repaired...........Bob

There is a diaphragm in the vacuum advance can. They tear or crack, causing a vacuum leak, and loss of vacuum advance. I pulled one apart last Winter to try rebuilding it. It was one of those sealed units that is not meant to be pulled apart. I found that the diaphragm had pulled out of the edge of the unit and was allowing vacuum to pass by. I tried rigging it...worked for a bit, then died again.

Got me too on the title of the post...oh well, I think that Bhigdog and I have the market cornered in Vacuum Reservior Can Repair methods...pass me another beer, Bob!!