64 Riv instrument cluster

Guest Sonnyand13

Guest Sonnyand13

Hello, I just purchased my first Classic automobile, a 64 Buick Riviera.

My first project with this car will be completely redoing the interior of this automobile. I thought about going the digital route with the instrument clusters. However don't really want to get away from the classic look.

My question is has anyone used the Classic Instrument in their Buicks? Will their 4 5/8 clusters work in my 64 without a host of modifications? Also see they offer a 2 1/8 clock..

Guest dwhiteside64

Try reposting in the Buick Riviera - Riviera Owners Association section of forum. It will get more exposure from those who know best.

My first project with this car will be completely redoing the interior of this automobile. I thought about going the digital route with the instrument clusters. However don't really want to get away from the classic look.

My question is has anyone used the Classic Instrument in their Buicks? Will their 4 5/8 clusters work in my 64 without a host of modifications? Also see they offer a 2 1/8 clock..

I don't know who the manufacturer is but here's a picture of a friend of mine's '65 Riviera with the big Quad Four gauges and speedometer / tach in the original housings.

I can ask him when I next see him who makes them. I also think that he sent his cluster to the manufacturer to have them mounted. Not sure about this last statement but I think that I remember him saying that.

Ed

post-50017-143143072167_thumb.jpg

The owner lives in central Kansas near the McPherson College. Quite a few graduates of their Auto restoration degree program stick around the area. One of those graduates is responsible for the dash. Here's picture of the right side of the dash. You'll notice the lack of a glove box button. The door works on a press to release latch.

post-50017-143143074417_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of the whole car. The side spear and all other emblems are not stainless, they're airbrushed. The side spear includes portholes on it that you can see if you can enlarge the picture.

post-50017-143143074419_thumb.jpg

Guest Sonnyand13

Thanks for for the help! That is an awesome ride the dash is very outside of the box and really shows well..

Guest Sonnyand13

Thanks for the response, that is an awesome looking dash! Very outside of the box and the wood grain really shows well.

• 2 weeks later...

"Conversion van look"??? Just depends upon the quality and grain of the wood. But then there's some "contact paper wood" that looks pretty good, too, as in "station wagon" wood from the 1980s. But for the era of that Riviera, it usually was "the real stuff" for the instrument panel pieces.

As for gauges, you might check out some of the street rod gauges in "Street Rodder Magazine" vendor ads. Many different types and face plate/needle designs to choose from.

NTX5467

Guest Sonnyand13
"Conversion van look"??? Just depends upon the quality and grain of the wood. But then there's some "contact paper wood" that looks pretty good, too, as in "station wagon" wood from the 1980s. But for the era of that Riviera, it usually was "the real stuff" for the instrument panel pieces.

As for gauges, you might check out some of the street rod gauges in "Street Rodder Magazine" vendor ads. Many different types and face plate/needle designs to choose from.

NTX5467

Thanks NTX5467 I will check this out!

• 3 months later...
Guest cbreit01

I have 2 Classic Instrument Gauges (All American Series) installed below the dash for Oil Pres/Water Temp.  They actually have a similar style look as stock.  Classic Instuments quoted me $500 each for custom ones to match the factory Speedo.  Needless to say, I saved my $$ and bought the All American Series on Summit for less than $75 each.  I am getting ready to put a Tach where my factory clock is located.  I am currently going to use a cheap Auto Meter tach until I get the right fit, then make another call to Classic Instruments to get a quote on what something like that would be to fab..  (guessing not cheap)  I'll post some pics once I get it installed

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest cbreit01

@ itsggg

I used a 2 1/16" Auto Meter Tach.  With a little cutting of the original clock bezel (purists can now shudder...) and a little filing on the hole, it fit great!

Guest cbreit01

I actually took the top of a spray paint can (fits perfectly over it) and turn counter clockwise.  Presto!  Thanks to RivNut for that little gem of a trick!