Need a photo of a 54 fuel pump and associated plumbing

Smartin

I will post a photo of what I have in a minute, but I am looking for confirmation on whether the pump I have on the car is the original, or correct. The incoming line that is strapped to the frame just below the pump has a flare fitting but doesn't match any of the inlets in the pump. Am I missing something here? The entire setup was disconnected when I bought the car, and it was running on an electric pump and a jug (20oz mountain dew bottle) of gas.

That is a 56 pump (late 55). They supposedly work at a slightly higher pressure than the flat topped version, so I would just rebuild that one.

The fuel line should be on the front of the frame ending just below the fuel pump. A rubber line goes from that metal line to the fuel pump. I don't have a pic right now. I'll look for one to post.

He might need the gas line fittings....

Looks like he has the 90* brass fitting but appears the 45* fitting has been replaced by a rubber hose nipple? Adam, I'll get the 45 in the mail in the morning. Sorry, I didn't enlarge your picture to see that one of the fittings was not correct. What are your plans for the reinforced rubber hose that goes between the hard line on the frame and the 45* fitting. The last one of them I found was under a pile of hens teeth.

post-31987-143143068349_thumb.jpg

304468d1428779170-need-photo-54-fuel-pump-associated-img_4197.jpg

post-31987-143143068355_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143143068361_thumb.jpg

I've been emailing the Cod today. It was made by Eaton Weatherhead. It's about 7 1/2" with a male swivel on one end and female swivel on the other. I know I bought a brand new one for my convertible, but other than Weatherhead, it doesn't say anything. CARS has one listed in their catalog and I believe it is pretty close to original. Of course, nobody can really see that anyway...

Daytona is a tighter weave. It truly depends on your desired result. BUT I was going to just install some cheap loop carpet in my wagon and found some Daytona on Rockauto for only about $100 more. I don't know if they (Rockauto) show Daytona for big series cars. Almost all of the vendors selling sewn carpets come from ACC, so look for the best price. If you can't find a good vendor, you can spend $500 on Daytona through ACC.

http://accmats.com

MrEarl says that '54 was still using Gros Point carpet which is a shorter and a little bit looser loop than Daytona (actually looks like embroidery). It is available at ACC and also AutoMat http://www.autointeriors.biz/Carpeting/2006_AutoMat_Carpet_PDFs/2006_AutoMat_Materials.pdf typically at same price as Daytona. If you order the pre-sewn kits, tell them to add an additional inch to the sides as I have heard that it often comes up short at the door sill plates. I suspect the pattern they used was from an older original car which in all cases I have seen, the carpet has shrank (or is it shrunk) over the many years. That is the case in all my original cars.

There is a discussion on this subject over on the '54 Buick Highway. http://www.1954buick.com/showthread.php/9515-Daytona-weave-carpet-question-for-a-48D

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)