What Do You Put in Your Emergency Bag for Road Trips

WillBilly53

I like a cardboard box in the trunk with water+fuel pumps, alt/gen, distributor, rad/heater hoses, fan belts, thermostat, spark plugs, a couple plug wires, fuel filter, carb kit, hose clamps/some nuts/bolts, coat hangar/wire, fluids, duct/duck! tape and the tool box. This for any trip further than a reasonable tow home. I'm sure others can come up with more or less than my list. Dan Mpls. Mn

I carry a cell phone and a AAA+ card.

If I have any reason to suspect that a part might be marginal, I replace or repair it immediately. For that reason I don't bother carrying things like extra fuel pumps, belts, hoses, spark plugs, etc.

Any car, at least any US built car from the mid-1930s and newer, should be reliable if it is maintained in good condition. The big issue with them is that schedules service is on much shorter intervals and on newer cars, not that they are less reliable.

Guest 53 Roady

I take a floor jack. One time I was headed to Alaska and took an air bottle. A valve spring broke in Montana and the air bottle allowed me to change the spring in a park after waiting three days for next day air. I drove to Seattle and took a boat to Alaska. Take your best good luck.

Pat

Besides some of the items listed above, I will bring the right sized socket for the lugnuts on an extension with the breaker bar and torque wrench. That AAA card sure got me out of a pinch in Battle Mountain NV last year. Basically, like Dan said, the further the trip, and the more rural an area you are going to, the more you want to carry parts that might be difficult to get. But there should be a limit. For recently rebuilt parts that are working properly, it's a judgement call to carry a spare. Just remember all those spares are weighing you down, and some of them you can't change on the side of the road safely anyhow.

If I have any reason to suspect that a part might be marginal, I replace or repair it immediately. For that reason I don't bother carrying things like extra fuel pumps, belts, hoses, spark plugs, etc.

Any car, at least any US built car from the mid-1930s and newer, should be reliable if it is maintained in good condition. The big issue with them is that schedules service is on much shorter intervals and on newer cars, not that they are less reliable.

X2 (except I don't have the triple A card) on vintage vehicle.

On my modern vehicles, a new electronic ignition module (most unreliable part on the vehicle) and the tools to change it!

Jon.

I have put together a small set of tools in a box that goes on any drive or show locally. For longer excursions, I have

a milk crate with a generator, water pump, regulator, starter, belts, and a fuel pump in it. I've never had to actually USE any of

those items on a trip in the last 30 years. They are there to make me feel better & act as voodoo style good luck charms! I am, of course…superstitious!

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/fe1dae58/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I carry a cell phone and a AAA+ card

Even though that is your emergency choice, I would still loan you some tools, help if I can and loan needed parts from my stash... and my stash of parts has been used on others' cars more than mine!

I carry most of what has been listed and then some. I have changed only generators (4 times), water pump (1x), rotor (fried by Pertronix), a broken axle (still don't carry that). The broken axle cost me 3 days to get the part...the other repairs, just a few hours. I learned from the generator swap it is good idea to carry extra nuts bolts and washers (you will drop them :(); water pump swap needs a scraper, some sand paper and gasket sealer.

Even with a phone and AAA you will lose days of traveling time just getting the part. And be prepared to fix it yourself, since finding someone to do it for you can take days.

Willie

As always, excellent info! Thank you everyone. My trepidation comes from me second guessing my own mechanical abilities since I have taken every screw, bolt, gasket, hose, etc. and put it back together. My baby has been completely stripped down and assembled 85% by me. I am handy, but not a mechanic and certainly not in the company of the people that original put these sweet rides together in the 50's. I definitely have no question about the reliability of the machines. Having the wheel pop off (totally my error, of course) the other day just got me second guessing myself and thinking about things to have on hand in the event of "easily" fixable emergencies. Shy of towing a complete '53 behind my '53, I just want to be prepared. Because in my life it's never a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Willie, your point is taken to heart. I didn't even think about the simple fact of not being able to get a certain part on the road. They aren't exactly making '53 fuel pumps anymore. :)

I've got a list started based on everyone's suggestion. Lamar, I laughed out loud at your post! Paul, very cool idea about the vintage style suitcase. I actually have a couple that currently carry some music gear and all my receipts of Buick purchases. I think I can consolidate and free up one for a travel kit.

Roadmaster75, I'm with you, I'm a bit superstitious too! I'd rather have it and not need than need it and not have it.

I went to the Rochester, Minnesota National with only a screwdriver. That was it.

Why did I do it? Because I was tired of people always saying "I replaced that old engine with a 350 so I could drive across country, and buy parts anywhere".

I lost a rotor on that trip, got towed to NAPA, bought one, installed it and got back on the road in less than two hours (including waiting for a flatbed).

Yes, you should take some spare parts and some tools, but at a certain point you realize that whatever just broke you don't have...why couldn't my starter blow? :)

I like a cardboard box in the trunk with water+fuel pumps, alt/gen, distributor, rad/heater hoses, fan belts, thermostat, spark plugs, a couple plug wires, fuel filter, carb kit, hose clamps/some nuts/bolts, coat hangar/wire, fluids, duct/duck! tape and the tool box. This for any trip further than a reasonable tow home. I'm sure others can come up with more or less than my list. Dan Mpls. Mn

I've got all that in a card box inside an old milk bottle crate.

I carry my AAA card, too.

X2 (except I don't have the triple A card) on vintage vehicle.

On my modern vehicles, a new electronic ignition module (most unreliable part on the vehicle) and the tools to change it!

Jon.

I've called AAA four times. Once for a company vehicle that had a dead battery. And three times for the Roadmaster. My AAA card works for any vehicle I drive.

I've got all that in a card box inside an old milk bottle crate. . .

I guess I might be tempted to carry more if my car had a trunk. By the time I get all our luggage in the rear seat area its pretty full. . .

There is a small tool roll behind the rear seat that pretty much duplicates the kit that came in the car when new. Wouldn't want to do a major repair with only an adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver though. Haven't had to use it yet which is good as getting the rear seat back off entails emptying enough luggage from the rear seat area that it would be a big hassle. Just a lot easier to have everything in good running condition before you leave.

As I anticipate trips down the road with my '53, I'm starting to compile a list for an emergency bag of sorts in case of break downs. I would love to hear everyone's input on this and maybe it will help others?

Just a cell phone. A flat bed is but one call away. :rolleyes: Honestly, just some tools. Set of points. Ballast resistor in the glovebox. Couple bottles of drinking water. I can drink it or dump it in the radiator if needed. Knock on wood. I have had no issues with my Buick. I drive it hundreds of miles in a day without issue. I find my 54 Buick very reliable. I found my 73 Buick with the points system very reliable. I think many here find their classics reliable. You will find you Buick is reliable. It worked over 60 years ago. It will work into the future.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

In addition to parts I carry in a plastic bin in the trunk, I also have a mechanics suit to protect my Sunday clothes. Yes I am married and my wife buys my clothes. Enough said.

Hell, my mechanics suit IS my Sunday clothes. But I see your point.

I have carried a blanket in the trunk of my car ever since I was a teenager. My excuse has always been "in case the car breaks down, and I have to crawl under it, dear" These days it is more the truth than back then.

Good call on the blanket, Lamar. No big trips planned just yet. I'm just excited that I got to actually drive her around town and planning for the future. We are planning a honeymoon, but I'm not sure we'll be taking the Buick. We're going to St. Augustine, Florida in June. Gas mileage aside, convince me I've put Naomi back together correctly and that we should take her instead of the Nissan Versa and I'll do it. :) I'm gonna give you a ring in just a moment. I want to come over and hang for a bit sometime soon. Maybe you could take her for a test drive?

Hell, my mechanics suit IS my Sunday clothes. But I see your point.

I have carried a blanket in the trunk of my car ever since I was a teenager. My excuse has always been "in case the car breaks down, and I have to crawl under it, dear" These days it is more the truth than back then.

LOL. I resemble that remark. Only I use a furniture pad. More padding.

Ben