Shift adjustments for the Prestolite Fluid Drive

Guest bevoe

Guest bevoe

Hi. New here, and having problems with the shifting on a 1950 Imperial. The car sit up for about ten years and after getting the engine to run, we were able to back it up and drive around the yard. Now, when ever you try to put it in reverse, it goes right back to 1st. I've check the service manual. And all they show is the shift levers break down for the 3-speed standard trans. Nada on the Prestolite. There is no information on the adjustment, lubicating or anything about the shift rods from trans to column. What I need is a diagram-break down for the rods ans any adjustment where they connect to the column. Thank You.

not sure about the adjustments, but fluid level is critical. the manual calls for a 10w motor oil which is not easily available and expensive when found. you can use iso 22 or iso 32 tractor oil/fluid found at tractor supply and many other stores. there is a plug on the passenger side similar to the one on a manual transmission to check level. love the car. straight 8 and very roomy inside. these are well engineered cars and easy to work on. if you never owned one of these remember the driver side lug bolts are left hand thread and the battery goes in with a positive ground. good luck. skyler

They have an unusual shifter with only 3 gear positions. Straight up, low range. Straight down, high range. Toward you and up, reverse. You have to lift the lever to go in reverse.

Look under the hood at the base of the steering column and you will see the shift levers. If one person observes the levers while another works the gearshift you will see if it is working correctly. It may need cleaning and oiling.

Guest bevoe

Thank you very much. I will check the level. And I got plenty of 10w in the shed. bought a case of it from an oil dist. here in Baton Rouge. Was frozed up. But a lot of Marvel and a big socket wrench, it run runs good now. With a little help from an Ignitor electronic ignition kit that my brother bought. No problems firing up. Again, thank you.

Guest Bob Call

bevoe

The transmission its self holds only a pint of 10W and there a is a pipe plug on the side of the trans case to check the level and add oil. The fluid drive coupler holds about 10 quarts. To check the oil level in the coupler there is a inspection cover on the right side of the trans hump of the floor board. Move the carpet back and remove the cover and the inspection cover on the bellhousing. Bump the starter until the pipe plug on the coupler is centered in the access hole. STUFF RAGS IN THE SPACE BETWEEN THE BELLHOUSING AND THE COUPLER BEFORE TRYING TO REMOVE THE PIPE PLUG. Ask Rusty O'Toole why you do this step. (LOL) Remove the plug. The oil level should be at the bottom of the plug opening. If not, add oil until it is at the correct level. Replace the plug, remove the rags, replace the inspection plate.

Another reason you may have with the shifter selection is the rubber bushings on the shift rods. Each place the shift rods fit into levers on the lower steering column and transmission side plate there should be rubber bushings. I bought a 52 Imperial that was difficult to get into reverse, it keep going into low range. I had all the bushings replaced and the problem was gone. The bushings can be ordered from Andy Burnbaum (oldmoparts.com). Check these bushing before checking the fluid coupler to be sure this may be a part of the problem. The bushings should be firm but not hard, nor should they be spongy.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Your problem is caused most likely because of rotten old motor mounts and the engine moving slightly forward or backwards. This will cause you not being able to sometimes shift into forward gears ok but not into reverse or the other way around.

One of the "Prestomatic" M-6 transmission shifter rods has the ability to be adjusted for length.

On 1950 Chryslers there is an early and late design... you need to adjust this rod length.

A quick pic of a early 1950 chrysler NewYorker trans and where to adjust that rod...

Transmission 10W Fluid level only affects automatic upshifts if the level is low. It won't shift properly into high range at road speed.

Bob

post-62228-14314307085_thumb.jpg