1936 Auburn 654 Phaeton

Guest groinky

Guest groinky

I have recently purchased a 1936 Auburn 654 Phaeton that is about 65% restored to a high standard.

All of the parts appear to be with the car, but of course I will find that out as I complete the car.

It is painted Cigarette Cream, and is equipped with the dual ratio rear end. It has steel wheels but no sidemounts.

I am hoping someone can answer some of my questions, I am sure there will be many.

Are the headlights painted or chrome?

What colour are the wheels painted and do they have any pinstriping?

Their is no interior in the car as yet, but I have all the hard pieces but no fabric sample. There is 190 sq.ft of new brown leather that came with the car.

Is brown correct and does anyone have patterns for the interior and the top? Or does someone reproduce the top covering. I do have the top frame assembly. I am assuming the top should be a tan colour but I would like to know the correct shade.

Any help with these questions will be most appreciated.

Jim Stevenson

I have recently purchased a 1936 Auburn 654 Phaeton that is about 65% restored to a high standard.

All of the parts appear to be with the car, but of course I will find that out as I complete the car.

It is painted Cigarette Cream, and is equipped with the dual ratio rear end. It has steel wheels but no sidemounts.

I am hoping someone can answer some of my questions, I am sure there will be many.

Are the headlights painted or chrome? <-- both are correct

What colour are the wheels painted and do they have any pinstriping? <-- Yes, they are striped.

Their is no interior in the car as yet, but I have all the hard pieces but no fabric sample. There is 190 sq.ft of new brown leather that came with the car.

Is brown correct and does anyone have patterns for the interior and the top? <-- Brown was offered. A rubber floor mat in the front, carpet in the rear. Patterns are available, but you are a long ways away.

Or does someone reproduce the top covering. <-- The trimmer will custom fit the top material. No prefab top is offered. All of the correct hardware is available.

I do have the top frame assembly. I am assuming the top should be a tan colour but I would like to know the correct shade. <--Get Stay-Fast top material, either black or tan, both are correct.

Any help with these questions will be most appreciated.

Jim Stevenson

Please see embedded comments.

My comment would be that 190 square feet of leather (4 smallish hides) won't be enough to do a four door phaeton.

Agree, roughly, those colors could be had back then. No kits I'm aware of, and very few pre-WWII cars could have a top kit that works, so as mentioned, you need to find a trimmer to fit it on car...

That is true John. I have always done the complete interior in leather to insure color and grain match. They don't always age the same.

Did you do your phaeton in leather and vinyl? 34's had two tone interiors, but not 35 & 36. I will go on record as saying John is the Auburn interior expert, NOT me.

Guest groinky

Thanks for the great feedback Curt and John. It is very helpful. I now have hope

that I can use the 190 sq.ft . of leather that came with the car in the places John outlined.

I assume then that the rear of the front seat and the door panels excluding the rear door packets and armrests would be vinyl. Is this correct?

Also would anyone happen to have photographs of a correct 35 or 36 Phaeton interior that they can share?

I would like to get it done correctly.

Thanks

Jim

If parts are vinyl, then of course I retract my statement on the 190 square feet, that should be plenty to do seating surfaces and such.

I do a little trim work, and only use leather, thus my statement. I actually would refuse to do a car that had vinyl, not out of any dislike of the vinyl, I just can't work it like I can leather.

Yes, I did our interior in the 1935 Auburn Phaeton in Vinyl and Leather just like it should have been. My vinyl and leather combination were made by the same manufacturer (it was done as a favor by the manufacturer to our upholsterer) - I borrowed an original 1936 Cord paint chip / upholstery book and took it to the hardware store to find a maroon paint chip to match and then gave that paint chip to the manufactuer - they matched grain and color.

There is also a second reason why I did it properly - we drive our cars and anyone who drives an Auburn Phaeton will tell you that in rain storm you do not necessarily stay dry inside the car - Leather on door panels is just not the same after it has been waterlogged a few times.