Found an unrestored '41; needs work & parts

Pete Phillips

They are still out there! Found this unrestored 1941 Special 2-dr. fastback at a Dallas area swap meet ten days ago, for under $2500. Engine turns but needs a carburetor (I think I have one). The car came out of a deceased man's barn in northeast Texas. Floors are very solid, but rocker panels are rusted. It needs everything, but I am just going to try to get it running and driving and replace the broken glass. Radiator is in the trunk; wiring is a disaster so I will have to do that. Does anyone have the long moldings for the sides of the hood? Also need the "BUICK EIGHT" hood letters which I think are reproduced, one headlight rim, and one door molding just below the beltline. I'm sure I will find other things missing. Here are a few photos. I brought it home today--first '41 Buick I have ever owned or even worked on.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-14314306149_thumb.jpg

post-32059-1431430615_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143143061508_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143143061518_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Pete, you will find quite a selection of parts for your 41 Buick at Bob's Automobilia. http://bobsautomobilia.com I know they will have the hood letters and the headlight door (ring) as well as many other parts you might need. They most likely won't have the stainless hood trim strips however. Good luck with your new project. The 41 Buicks are very comfortable cars and drive well.

Tim York BCA #32988

1930 Buick 57

1941 Buick 56S

For the non-BCA members and others that are new to this forum and Buicks........ Pete Phillips is a lot of things...... (1) he is the editor of the BCA clubs monthly magazine, the Bugle. (2) He owns and operates an auto restoration shop in North Texas. He has worked for several cities as a city planner. If you get a chance to meet him you can learn more ........

Also he is not just a Buick guy.... he seems to have a soft spot of Studebakers also.

• 2 weeks later...

And Barney you left out the most important thing about Pete - he is a genuinely nice person. I got to know Pete when he was going to McPherson College (just up the road from us a piece) and he and his friend came down quite a few times to check out the OLD Buicks in my shop. They just do not come much better than Pete Phillips.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas Doo Dah America

Wow! You do like projects! Actually it doesn't look too bad. Was it originally the red? With wide whites the red would look fantastic!

Cheers, Dave

Wide Neck..Ahhh, Masson Jars, and red necks go together all ya'll know. Dandy Dave!

Guest papaw
The rusty red color is the primer showing under the original paint.

Did they use red primer in 1941? My 1940 56s was a grey primer from the factory.

• 3 months later...

Interesting to hear how you've made out with your '41. I brought home a '41 super coupe on Saturday, same condition as yours, nearly the same price. The body on my car is in fantastic shape, but the interior was a complete mess. Prior owners drove it from Nevada to Rhode Island in the 70s, and parked it. I found it in an old gas station in southern Massachusetts. I spent the weekend cleaning the interior and sorting through a box of parts. Started to reassemble the dashboard that somebody took out along time ago to rewire, but never got around to rewiring. Replacement glass for the windshield is on order. Not sure I'm going to keep this car is a really don't have a place to put it, and my 48 Plymouth is already taking up my garage.

post-116093-0-82069000-1438570013_thumb.

post-116093-0-02957600-1438570031_thumb.

post-116093-0-18845200-1438570064_thumb.

• Like 1

Pete, looks like a good find.  If you still need the hood moldings, let me know.  I have a set for '41 40 series.  Both have a small ding towards the front, the stainless steel is pretty easy to work out and buff.  Let me know and I'll send them out to you.  You can just send me a check for what you think they are worth to you (plus shipping) once you see them.  If you don't want them then, just ship them back.  Good to see another '41 fastback being saved.

Dave