1932 Buick 67 Engine

Guest EvanRenck

Guest EvanRenck

As the restoration project drags along, I just want to say that trying to bolt the flywheel and the bellhousing to the engine after the crankshaft is already in the block is nearly impossible. Although I prevailed with a thin long box wrench and a bit of acrobatics to tighten the bellhousing bolts behind the flywheel a 1/16 of a turn at a time, I hope no one has ever had to feel their patience wear thin like I did. End of rant.

I felt that pain recently during the rebuild of my 31-67. You think, "well, there's something I must be missing." And indeed there is a way. You pull the pan, you pull the oil pump along with all of those exposed oil lines that serve the main bearings (no small task since all of those bolts have those anti-loosening safety wires threaded through them, you pull the rear main bearing cap, then the flywheel bolts (as you rotate the crank) and then you beat on the flywheel a while. Just about the time the flywheel is ready to fall down on your ankles, you realize that you should have marked it so that you'll know how it goes back on. Yep, you've run out of blue words by then.