1941 Saratoga 3 Window Coupe -- Eight Cyl

I was just looking on the HAMB web site where I came across a posting from a man in CA that is selling his collection of cars. Among them is a rare '41 Saratoga 3 window coupe that has an eight cylinder engine. Of course you all know that the Hamb is a forum for rodders, but it appears that this coupe hasn't been messed with yet. Geez, it would be neat if we could steal one back from the crate engine crowd. The price is $3,000 with a title. Take a look:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/more-cars-for-sale.970653/

20140507_173124-jpg.2877399

The car hobby is a continuum, not a polarization. There are restorers who are rodders as well as there are rodders who are restorers. There are hundreds of posts on the HAMB regarding cars being so nice and authentic or so rare that they should not and will not modify them. There should be more posts in AACA from restorers saying this or that barn find common four door sedan or two door is so deteriorated that it would be better off hot rodded or customized than sinking tens of thousands of family dollars into it with no hope of ever getting it back.

We ALL need weatherstripping and reproduction lenses and mechanical parts for rodding OR restoring. It is the very breath of this total hobby that makes these projects economically feasible because ALL cars need these items.

Mine is coming along, I am going to have to put it down for a few months however.

Does it make my butt look big?

These pics are its internet debut. If interested I can post more. But its just an old car that is going to be a hot rod.

And yea, that's a HEMI in there.

post-52542-143143060687_thumb.jpg

post-52542-14314306069_thumb.jpg

The car hobby is a continuum, not a polarization. There are restorers who are rodders as well as there are rodders who are restorers. There are hundreds of posts on the HAMB regarding cars being so nice and authentic or so rare that they should not and will not modify them. There should be more posts in AACA from restorers saying this or that barn find common four door sedan or two door is so deteriorated that it would be better off hot rodded or customized than sinking tens of thousands of family dollars into it with no hope of ever getting it back.

We ALL need weatherstripping and reproduction lenses and mechanical parts for rodding OR restoring. It is the very breath of this total hobby that makes these projects economically feasible because ALL cars need these items.

If you detect a note of bitterness in my posting, it's because there isn't a day that goes by that I don't come across an old car for sale that hasn't been stripped of it's driveline and interior by someone who had grand plans of making it into a rod of some sort, thus making a restoration all that much more unlikely.

If you detect a note of bitterness in my posting, it's because there isn't a day that goes by that I don't come across an old car for sale that hasn't been stripped of it's driveline and interior by someone who had grand plans of making it into a rod of some sort, thus making a restoration all that much more unlikely.

Mr. Wudsy, I don't mind it when someone takes a derelict and replaces the drivetrain, wheels, and interior. It's been done in Cuba since 1959. But when someone takes an otherwise easily restorable car and hacks it up, well, that really hurts to see.

Mr. Wudsy, I don't mind it when someone takes a derelict and replaces the drivetrain, wheels, and interior. It's been done in Cuba since 1959. But when someone takes an otherwise easily restorable car and hacks it up, well, that really hurts to see.

We've all seen the list of them on Craigslist. All in the name of rat-rod-dum. I think that's why I cringe whenever I hear the word. Way too many nice cars have been permanently transferred into something else. Once you start slicing and dicing, there is little chance of going back. Sometimes you wish you could show the builder a picture of what the end product is going to be on the path they are currently taking. I think more than a few would go wow, that looks terrible. Alot of the reason the builds probably never get completed.

To which I would tell you there isn't a day that goes by that I don't hear of yet another INTENDED RESTORATION that has either never been begun and is deteriorating further in storage or that was partley disassembled before money or health ran out.

The car hobby is a continuum and we all are dreamers whether restorers or rodders.

So what are you saying? ONLY the restorers should get the easy cars to work on? Bit selfish. The cars are out there, advertised for sale. Generally the restorers will NOT pay the asking price and if the rodder steps up, he deserves the car to do with as he wishes. That's capitalism. The American way.

We've all seen the list of them on Craigslist. All in the name of rat-rod-dum. I think that's why I cringe whenever I hear the word. Way too many nice cars have been permanently transferred into something else. Once you start slicing and dicing, there is little chance of going back. Sometimes you wish you could show the builder a picture of what the end product is going to be on the path they are currently taking. I think more than a few would go wow, that looks terrible. Alot of the reason the builds probably never get completed.

Rat rods (a very broad term) are generally constructed from pieces left over from restorations. Parts that restorers replaced with better parts.

I've seen equally TERRIBLE looking restorations and you surely have too where a good car was destroyed by someone with inadequate skills, knowledgte or too tight a checkbook. How many times have you seen rare valuable pot metal destroyed by the "restorer" who wouldn't pay for proper chrome plating?

Anyone care to comment on the "custom" which is my avatar?

Sure, I like it. Post some pics and a description.

I saw a car a lot like this in one of the museums and thought it was one of those. Don't remember the brand.

As for the hobby, for the hot rods I only buy cars that have been abandoned and ad my personal likes to completion. Usually just a pile of parts with the running gear already sold off and the rest in unmarked boxes. I believe that there are more abandoned projects than get finished. (Custom or stock)

I have bailed on a couple, but have finished many.

For the originals, I tend to buy completed or near completed projects. A restoration is simply copying what already is.

A custom is more personal and I like personal cars even though they will never bring back anything close to the investment of time and materials. So none are for sale. My family has a list of who gets what.

I think that there are cars that are beyond restoration by a reasonable person but still can be used for resto-mod or hot rod material. It is easier to make something usable without having to make it original. When you are restoring, getting the right parts or finishes can make things much more expensive.

To which I would tell you there isn't a day that goes by that I don't hear of yet another INTENDED RESTORATION that has either never been begun and is deteriorating further in storage or that was partley disassembled before money or health ran out.

No one wants to see cars deteriorate while in the hands of hoarders, but you know very well that is not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about under skilled and overwhelmed dreamers forever separating desirable cars from their basic elements, only to give up on their project and sell what is left of it. Here in Minnesota, there are two of the nations largest vintage junk yards - Windy Hills and French Lake. People often seem surprised to see that they both regularly acquire new stock. The reason is simple - guys tear cars apart and are too overwhelmed and embarrassed by the pile of parts that they have to run an ad on Craigslist, so they discreetly call to have their abandoned projects hauled away. There many capable guys that build great rods all of the time. I'm fine with that. They have the smarts, skills and follow through to do so wisely. I enjoy nice comprehensively designed street rods immensely and regularly attend the "Back To The Fifties" annual event held here, locally. It's just really nice (and increasingly rare) to come across a desirable car like this Chrysler coupe which hasn't had it's fate determined beforehand. The many rodders who frequent this site get remarkably defensive when someone like me remarks on this subject. Often their arguments include the utilization low value four door sedans that no one would bother restoring anyway. If first time rod builders would only pick on the low value four door sedans, I'd be quiet!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy
none (see edit history)

Jack M. You may have seen my avatar car, the '52 Spohn Palos at the Petersen Museum some time during 2013 while in the "FINS" display. It was coachbuilt by the Spohn Carosserie in Ravensburg, Germany, probably for a USAF pilot and was based on the 1940 Ford he drove in for customizing. I won't hijack the thread here by posting pics of it. It has its own page at Kustomrama, is mentioned at Forgotten Fiberglass (it is steel) and I administer a Facebook page called Spohn Custom Enthusiasts. Spohn Customs vary greatly based on the customer's orders but many including mine share the rear styling elements of Harley Earl's GM LeSabre concept car. Also see Spohn at the Coachbuild.com web site. Thanks.

Edited by StillOutThere
correct web link (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Sure. The body is off the chassis and was sent to the panel beater. The chassis was completely dismantle blasted and painted and now will be rebuilt with new original parts. I have problems to find new front wheels brake cylinders (two for each wheel); I also look for steering wheel, rear screen inner frame, a spare wheel, head light and rear lights and for sure gasket set and oil seals for engine and gearbox. Thanks, Shahar

The rear screen inner frame is made of unobtainium but the mechanical stuff should be available without a big problem.  The wheel is the same across models (I would guess) so finding one of those should not be impossible but a nice one will probably cost some real money.  Good luck!

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 7:11 PM, StillOutThere said:

Jack M. You may have seen my avatar car, the '52 Spohn Palos at the Petersen Museum some time during 2013 while in the "FINS" display. It was coachbuilt by the Spohn Carosserie in Ravensburg, Germany, probably for a USAF pilot and was based on the 1940 Ford he drove in for customizing. I won't hijack the thread here by posting pics of it. It has its own page at Kustomrama, is mentioned at Forgotten Fiberglass (it is steel) and I administer a Facebook page called Spohn Custom Enthusiasts. Spohn Customs vary greatly based on the customer's orders but many including mine share the rear styling elements of Harley Earl's GM LeSabre concept car. Also see Spohn at the Coachbuild.com web site. Thanks.

Yes, that is where I saw it.

Kinda glad this thread came back to the top.

I had the coupe up and running this last summer, but is down now for some upgrades.

The second shot is at one of the Oregon State Prison shows.

20160617_190636_resized.jpg

20160708_150832.jpg

• Like 1

Can't seem to find the ad with the gentleman that had 2 for sale. They were different years, one had a drive train, both project level. I'll probably find it after I post

It won't let me post URL links. Search North Miss, Memphis, and Nashville. One in each location. 

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/5864573793.html

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/5874832218.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5894595620.html

Edited by 72caddy (see edit history)

Thanks for these links 72caddy.

alsancle is right about the years that seen to be more prevalent. I prefer the Chryslers of the 46-48 vintage.

Thank you Gunsmoke for the compliment.

This has been one of my bucket list cars. I had to buy a junk 48 New Yorker for the chassis and front tin. The NY is a flathead eight car so is 6 inches longer all ahead of the firewall. The main body is a Royal which is a 6 cyl car.

I was lucky to find both of these cars that had already been disassembled with parts missing and was able to make something out of them.

I have been grabbing up early Hemis when they come along for many years and am having a lot of fun building cars around them.

I will be selling the NY 4 door body on the Royal chassis with good 48 NY title for cheap if anybody is in need of a parts car.

20141204_130123.jpg

IM002920.JPG

A few years ago there was a 41 business coupe with a desoto hemi conversion for sale in Washington state.  About 50% done.

Speaking of 41's,  here is a really really nice looking one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Chrysler-Royal-business-man-coupe-/332049562432

1941 Chrysler coupe Royal, very rare one of 1.921 built, hardly any rust, it has 6 cylinder flat head with fluid drive transmission, I bought this beauty from an older gentleman who started working on it, but for some reason he stopped and he kept it covered in his shop for the past 35 years.The only reason I bought it was because it was so clean and there was no rust or hardly any rust as you can see in the pictures. Also, it is very rare car, and if you try to go online you will not find any out there.
All the chrome exterior is in perfect condition and all the hardware is marked in separate packages. It has the original tires and they were not flat when we took it out of his shop.
My plan was to restore it to it's original condition and keep it for my Sunday drive, but I started working on another project and I need the cash to finish it. I feel really bad to see this piece of history leave, but I have no other choice.

41Chyrsler.jpg

On 11/26/2016 at 9:47 AM, JACK M said:

Yes, that is where I saw it.

Kinda glad this thread came back to the top.

I had the coupe up and running this last summer, but is down now for some upgrades.

The second shot is at one of the Oregon State Prison shows.

20160617_190636_resized.jpg

20160708_150832.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2016 at 9:30 PM, alsancle said:

A few years ago there was a 41 business coupe with a desoto hemi conversion for sale in Washington state.  About 50% done.

Speaking of 41's,  here is a really really nice looking one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Chrysler-Royal-business-man-coupe-/332049562432

Btw,  it looks like this sold for the BIN of 13k.  Given the 13k one or the Desoto at 3500 I think you would be much much better off with the more expensive car,  however i still think the Desoto will sell.