1958 Buick Special Disk Brake conversion

Guest xefere

Guest xefere

Hi

Currently restoring a 1958 Buick Special and want to do a disk brake conversion. Which kit would be best to fit in terms of parts and maintenance. I've seen the ones from Mike Pemberton and Scarebird Mechanical.

Thanx

Eugene

The premise of the AACA is to preserve and restore old vehicles, not to modify them. One can debate the merits of that position, but it's the organization's call. While not everyone here agrees with it, you'll likely get more useful responses if you ask the question at a forum like hotrodders.com. Good luck.

Guest Bob Call

When I was a hot rodder back in the late 50's early 60's, the hot ticket for stoppers was Buick brakes with finned aluminum drums. They were the largest passenger car brakes available. Rebuild your stock Buick brakes, they will be all you will need for normal driving.

Guest xefere

Thank you for your responses. I was in 2 minds about this as I am keeping the car as stock standard as possible. I have no intention of driving the car at high speeds that would require extreme braking. I will keep the standard brakes, I really appreciate your help

Hello Eugene.

As owner of three (and a half - ha ha) '58 Buick's since High School let me suggest to you the original brakes will more than stop these 4,000 lbs cars as designed. Sure, if you hit them hard you might lock all four wheels which is not like anti-lock braking systems today but.... you also know you are driving something antique / special and more than likely have put money and sweat equity into her to be proud of so ... Drive Defensively regardless.

You did not state weather you have standard brakes or power brakes. That will make some difference too although, if you notice my signature, I have a '52 Ford truck which has standard brakes and with all new original system parts will stand you on your head when making a panic stop too so....

Another thing, you might consider starting a thread on the BCA Forums site under Me And My Buick. There are a lot of '58 Buick owners there than can offer good advice from their experiences too.

Here is one of my High School Buick's which I'm currently getting back on the road after a sleep.

post-36036-143143060904_thumb.jpg

Edited by dei (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Guest daveh70

Some are into the conversions, some aren't.

Hi

Currently restoring a 1958 Buick Special and want to do a disk brake conversion. Which kit would be best to fit in terms of parts and maintenance. I've seen the ones from Mike Pemberton and Scarebird Mechanical.

Thanx

Eugene

Edited by daveh70 (see edit history)

Guest daveh70

About 4 years ago I had my '58 Special converted to front disc power brakes. Worked out fine & I'm glad I did it. The shop I used had to make modifications to make it work. Is there a complete kit that will work as-is for this car? Good luck on your project!

Hi

Thanx

Eugene

Guest daveh70

Sorry but I have an extra post here by mistake, please delete. Thanks.

Hi

Thanx

Eugene

Guest daveh70

Again, I apologize and tried to delete this extra post I made in error.

Hi

Thanx

Eugene