54 Super56R Project

Smartin

• 1 month later...

I spent a couple hours today doing some assembly on the beast.  I have decided that I'm going to get the car running and (hopefully) stopping, then put it on the market.  I have too many other things going on in the near future to have another project like this.  Athough I would love to see Titian Red with a white top and some nice whitewall bias plies on this car.

I will probably clean up the black painted stuff and do a quick spray on it to make it look uniform, but I'm not going to go crazy with it.  I still have to rebuild the carburetor and fuel pump.

post-76696-0-06328800-1434416317_thumb.j

I went through the carburetor and fuel/vac pump this afternoon after work.  I didn't get off until 3pm today, so I made sure I worked as late as I could stand it tonight.  Just about 10pm and it's quittin' time.

So I was going to paint the inner fenders, etc black, but I think I just want to get the car running at this point.  I don't plan on putting any more real money into it at this point....so I started installing parts.

Carb, fuel pump, coil, wire harness, relays, junction blocks, voltage regulator.  I sure hope I wired the relays right, because I did a piss poor job of taking photos before I tore it apart.

post-76696-0-47402900-1434855619_thumb.j

Nevermind about the pump arm.  The only way it seems I can get the car to actually start is to completely smother the carburetor with my hand.  It then will pull the fuel up to the carb and start the engine.  What am I missing??

YouTube video of the car running to come...as soon as it is finished processing.

I have  brakes!  No power assist, but I have brakes.

I took the car for a spin around the block and it's not half bad.  I had to top off the trans fluid.  The engine is tired and could use a good overhaul, but it runs and drives.

Time to clean it up and sell.

• 3 weeks later...