Color Coded Vacuum Hoses

DV8

Has any one ever found a source for replacing the color coded vacuum hoses? I'm looking to buy lengths of all the different colors (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, White and Black) to completely rebuild my vacuum circuit. So far I can only find white and blue. Not interested in pulling used ones off of a parts car. That would defeat the purpose. Not interested in buying black ones and painting stripes on. That's a stupid idea that I've read in other forums that won't work.

When I did my Riviera I was parting out a 1969 Fleetwood. All the color coded vacuum line I needed was under the dash cover of that old caddy. Since it is inside the car and in the dark you could probably do the same. thing today and find pliable, usable hose.

The limitations of not being interested in doing futile or stupid things can really deter hobby efforts. You already have a 50 year old car, you know.

Bernie

Also, yes Ed. I've seen the kits for Cutlass' available but it doesn't look like they have enough different colors and they're already cut to length and I highly doubt it would magically match up. In the meantime I might have found a source. I'll keep you all posted.

Has any one ever found a source for replacing the color coded vacuum hoses? I'm looking to buy lengths of all the different colors (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, White and Black) to completely rebuild my vacuum circuit. So far I can only find white and blue. Not interested in pulling used ones off of a parts car. That would defeat the purpose. Not interested in buying black ones and painting stripes on. That's a stupid idea that I've read in other forums that won't work.

A number of GM cars shared the same various color striped vacuum hoses over the years but the lengths would vary from make and model. All vacuum lines for Corvettes are being reproduced but unfortunately they are sold in kits with pre-cut lengths. I have asked several Corvette suppliers to sell me vacuum hoses by the length that I need and they have refused. I have also requested them to tell me who the manufacturer is and they refuse to tell me that as well. I would be willing to buy a spool of each color and width, use what I need, then sell the rest to my Riviera brethren but.......................

Ed, yeah that seems like a good lead that I hadn't found yet. The best thing I have found so far is this:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/vacuum-parts/23-0905/vacuum-p-2670.html

I spoke to a guy there and had him pull the kit off the shelf. He said it's 7 hoses, all 64" in length and they are all black with a colored stripe (red, blue, white, green, purple, orange and one solid black). The photo for the item, for some reason, is obviously not representative of what it actually looks like. So I'm probably going to order this kit tomorrow and I'll post a pic of what it actually looks like if anyone is interested.

Ed, yeah that seems like a good lead that I hadn't found yet. The best thing I have found so far is this:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/vacuum-parts/23-0905/vacuum-p-2670.html

I spoke to a guy there and had him pull the kit off the shelf. He said it's 7 hoses, all 64" in length and they are all black with a colored stripe (red, blue, white, green, purple, orange and one solid black). The photo for the item, for some reason, is obviously not representative of what it actually looks like. So I'm probably going to order this kit tomorrow and I'll post a pic of what it actually looks like if anyone is interested.

This could be the lead we have been looking for. Thanks for being the guinea pig David!

Guest my3buicks

I got lucky years ago and found a roll of each color when I cleaned out a Buick dealerships back inventory. sealed it in zip lock bags and keep it in a cool place.

Here are photos of what came in the kit. 6 hoses x 64" just like the guy described to me. The ID is close but not exactly the same as the sample I pulled off my original system. I suspect the hoses that were in my car may have dried up and shrunk down a little in fifty years though. There is also one solid black one that is a little thicker and shorter than the rest for the main vacuum line from the engine to the vacuum storage tank.

post-102046-143143077123_thumb.jpg

post-102046-143143077095_thumb.jpg

There's a "block" that can be pried out of the retainer in the firewall. I pulled it out a couple of inches so I could work with each individual hose. Each hose goes through one of six holes in the block. I took a drill bit and used it to connect the new vacuum line to the old vacuum line. The twist in the drill bit anchors the two hoses together. A little soapy water on the side of the hose that you're going to pull through the block makes it slippery. I'd pull the old hose through the block and the new hose would follow. I just forced the old hose through the retained so it would all be under the dash. I could see some old color on the original hoses and I'd wrap each end of the new hose with some electrical tape of the same color. I'd find where the old hose was connected to the vacuum distribution block that connects to the a/c - heater controls and fasten the new hose to the same nipple that the old hose came off of. I now have color coded hoses (tape) that lets me know which hose is which on the firewall side. Now it's a matter of re-installing all of the a/c diaphragms and vacuum canisters and trimming the hose to length and refitting them where they belong. Once the hoses are pulled through the block, you can push the block back into its retainer in the firewall.

Ed

• 3 months later...

For anyone who was wondering, I finally rebuilt the entire vacuum system with the hoses and diaphragms that I bought from Old Air Products.  Entire vacuum system is functioning as it should and everything fit with no major modifications.

If anyone wants my all original color coded vacuum hose set they're up for grabs.  They all seem to be in usable condition.  Probably just clean them off and snip the ends off and you're good to go.  I'd just ask for $10 bucks for shipping.