Looking For Rare Delco Remy Distributor

stevencmartini

Hello:

I am looking for a Delco 652B dual point 1929- 1931 distributor. This was used on the 125 HP Lycoming 8 cyl motors that were marine verions of the Auburn car engines and used in the 21A and 25A Horace Dodge Boats. I own a handful of these motors and am working on tracking down a distributor or parts etc. Thanks for your help ahead of time

Any literature of Delco Books that reference this would also be helpful.

Picture of Dist Can Be Seen Here:

http://www.thatoldboat.com/DodgeBoats/21-6-1931-MODEL-21A-HURRAH/i-tLm5PVk/A

www.dodgeboats.com

www.thatoldboat.com

Talked to Darrel Hagen of Hagens Auto Parts. Great guy, he said to locate any 652 series distributor as a start. The D as Robert pointed out above was used on the Marmon and the E was used on the Pierce Arrow. Any further help pointing me towards a 652 series would be appreciated.

Steve

Attached are photos of two distributors from my swap meet box. The one on the left is a 658B and the other is a 653M. I'm not a Delco Remy expert by any means but to my untrained eye, the body , shaft, drive gear , breaker plate and even the points all look pretty much the same. ( I didn't take a mic to either). The main visual differences appear to be the rotor attachment point ( one is keyed, the other just a flat spot on the shaft) and the manual spark levers. It's possible that the mechanical advances (if they have them) differ in spring and weight size as well but I didn't look inside!!. I'm going to hazard a guess that Delco had a 65XX series distributor and then customized it for each manufacturer. It might be as simple as finding a 65XX distributor and then tracking down the correct cap and rotor. I would think that the dwell is pretty standard for an inline 8.

Brad

post-32273-14314305944_thumb.jpg

post-32273-143143059432_thumb.jpg

The shaft that the rotor sits on is different, but I agree that the rest of the distributor looks very much the same.

You might want to check with NAPA Auto Parts for a rotor and cap for the distributor. I just bought a cap & rotor for a 1925 Buick at my local NAPA store a couple of month ago and they had it in stock. I would take the distributor them and see if they can match up what you need.

Larry

Are you running the stock 1925 exploding pot metal dizzy or have you done the cast iron upgrade from a later year. Reason I ask is if you are running stock, I'd love to know the NAPA part numbers because I think stock took 9MM plug wires as opposed to the 7mm of later ( and more common ) dizzys and I'd love to find some inexpensive spares!!!

Thx

Brad

Brad,

I used the cap & rotor for another application. I just went into the NAPA store and asked for the oldest Buick cap & rotor that they had a listing for. The distributor cap was the correct diameter for what we were using it for but we needed to machine it some to fit on an older vehicle. (1918)

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

SCM: Just noticed your post...FWIW, have a bare-bones little Shurhit catalog:

AS RB mentioned, 652D listed for 30-32 8 cyl Marmon (no model # listed), but it's listed WITH 658C, which, in turn, is also listed for the T68, N, N78 28-32 8 cyl 28-29 models...(those 28-29 models and also listed WITH 658M, 651A and D)...the catalog doesn't state whether options, production changes, single or dual ign. etc...

That catalog lists 668E for 29-31 Pierce 8 and 660P for 32 Pierce 8 (no model #s listed)...

Parts catalogs don't always agree...

Do you know why the marine engines had different dist's from the auto versions??

I have no idea if any of those interchangeable if the correct shaft and drive installed and/or if marine use dist's different from general auto...

If you haven't already, you might query Jason at Advanced Elec Rebuilders (aerrebuild.com) for possible help...with sympathy, Bud