replacing convertible top

KDirk

Thouht I would start a thread on this as I've started in on replacing my top. Presently I have the old top and inside headliner removed from the car. My findings so far:

1. Headliner was difficult to remove from 2 & 3 bows due to design of plastic snap channels that hold it to the bows. Be very careful doing this or you can tear the headliner material away from the plastic channel clips.

2. Side weather strips are very difficult to remove without damage. Especially when they are already in marginal condition as mine are.

3. Discovered the fifth bow (rearmost) is pot metal (zinc composite) and while it was factory painted black, had corrosion all over outer surface due to moisture ingress. I scrapedn sanded and primed. Awaiting a coat of black paint presently.

4. The fifth bow to tonneau weather strip is virtually impossble to remove undamaged. So, I chose not to try and save it. I have a new one purchased from Hydroelectric in Florida. Anyone setting out to do a top should keep this in mind.

Now, I have a few questions to throw out. Note that the top will be installed primarily by a guy I know who does expert vehicle restoration work. I'll be helping out but am doing the removal and prep work myself in advance of his involvement.

First, the top pads are riveted at the front bow. These look like blind rivets as they do not protrude through the steel retainer plate and mushroom out like conventional pop rivets do. Is there a source for these rivets or do I just use pop rivets in their place? If so, it appears I will need to enlarge the holes in tbe first bow retainer plate.

Second, there is some black elastic material about 1" wide by maybe 3" long at the bottom edge of the fifth bow on either side of the top stack just rearward of the side window opening. This appears intended to protect the top outer covering from a pivot/pinch point at that location in tbe top stack frame. It is badly worn on both side on my car. Anyone know what this stuff is called and where I might find some (in bulk presumably). It is attached only with contat cement, surprisingly.

Posting from my phone now, so can't do pictures but will try to add some tomorrow.

KDirk

Well, some progress today. I've removed the drivers side top pad and fabricated a new one from bulk top pad material. Turns out the rivets are just 1/8" short body pop rivets with oversized heads. I'll use standard rivets with aluminum washers to equal the head size of the originals.

Fabricating the top pad is a bit of a challenge. I cut it to the same length and shape and used a charcoal wand lighter to melt the raw edges of the woven material. I marked the location of the rivet holes with a paint pen and then used a soldering pencil to melt holes through the material at each marked location to prevent fraying. Will probably install this weekend and then repeat the process for the passenger side.

This is turning into a major project, but not unexpectedly. Have found some additional corrosion elsewhere on the top stack, near the first bow header. Will need to clean that off and repaint. My goal is to have it ready to install the top by next weekend.

Now I'm regretting not ordering a new headliner. Maybe I still will depending on the lead time. The guy installing the top ordered the top (in trade for some work I did for him) in tan stay fast cloth. I have seen the top unpacked and it looks great. Can't wait to get it on the car.

KDirk

Another update. Finished installing new top pads today and have the new top partway installed (secured at 2nd, 3rd and 5th bows but not at 1st bow or at sides yet). I will say this: fit at the rear is VERY tight (especially around sail panels) such that the 4th bow shows through the top where it curves downward. I may need to pad the inside of the top a bit to mask this. Also solved my elastic band problem in the first post above. The fabric store had a roll of Singer brand elastic banding identical to the old worn out strips. Under $3 for material and that is solved.

Planning on leaving it in the sun tomorrow for a bit to see if it will soften and stretch any. Fit is good otherwise, no sags or points where the edges don't cover properly. Quite happy so far save for the tightness in the sail panels. Will get some pictures up soon.

KDirk

Thanks for suggestion. I thought of that, as I read the FSM on top replacement and service but didn't think it should be out as it had the original top on it still. I will check it however, and may adjust it if the top doesn't stretch enough to make the difference.

KDirk