Big eight fuel pump

ricosan

Hey Folks,

I recently had a problem with a leaky (oil from the crankcase) fuel pump. I removed it and found that the plate that bolts the pump to the block was warped. My mechanic was able to cobble together a replacement using most of my pump and it works good up until about 55mph.

Turns out that my old pump wasn't the right pump for this engine. We had to make a 3/16" spacer to keep the new pump from suffering the same fate as the one that was on the car when I bought it.

Two questions:

Does anyone of you have a fuel pump for sale? It doesn't have to be working, I can have it rebuilt.

Can anyone tell me the number of the correct fuel pump for the Big Eight engines? There is a number stamped on the top edge of the pump. Four digits I think.

ricosan

Edited by ricosan (see edit history)

AC #5644 or 855644 on the flange or on the bottom 1931 Marmon big 8 (79). Do you have pictures of the pumps that are not the right ones? 1-262-392-2989 or mribbich@wi.rr.com

Marv.

Hey Marv,

Yep, (#5644) that is the number that's on the pump that I took off. The flange is very poor shape as you can see. Aside from the warp issue both of the ears where the engine studs pass through are broken off as well. My mechanic replaced this piece with a doner. We just used the guts from my original. For some reason we had to add a spacer to keep the pump from binding up when tightening.

ricosan

post-97329-143143056967_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...