1958 Cadillac - engine squealing

chris_58

Hi everyone,

My car surprises me every day. Now the engine makes a squealing sound that increases with increased rpm. It only does it when the engine is warm and it only started last year. Before she was running fine.

First I thought the belts are slipping since it just sounds like that and I tightened them, but it did not improve. Next I replaced all the belts - still no improvement. Finally, today after I warmed the engine up, I took the belts off one by one to find the culprit. In the end I had all belts off, including the A/C belt, the PS belt and even the generator belt (which also drives the the water pump) and the engine still squeals. Since the water pump was no engaged, it can be excluded from the suspect list.

The noise seems to come from either the front of the engine or the driver side. The 58 Caddy has an auxiliary vacuum pump built in the oil pump. Could a defect vacuum pump make that squealing sound?

Stumped and very frustrated, open for any advice.

Chris

You can use a wood dowel held to your ear as a stethoscope, What else is rotating when the engine is running? The distributor cam can 'chirp' if dry, or the Distributor bearings or bushings can be dry. or as mentioned above, a vacuum leak can often sound like a squeal.

GLong

Update: A friend of mine pointed me in the right direction. It is the front crankshaft seal. He told me to squirt some ATF on the crankshaft between the balancer and timing chain cover to get some lubrication to front seal. And would you believe it - the squealing stopped. At least for now.

I guess it is time to change the seal.

Chris

Update: A friend of mine pointed me in the right direction. It is the front crankshaft seal. He told me to squirt some ATF on the crankshaft between the balancer and timing chain cover to get some lubrication to front seal. And would you believe it - the squealing stopped. At least for now.

I guess it is time to change the seal.

Chris

Why change it? If it was dry enough to squeal it was not leaking. Still a rope seal isn't it?

Guest carlnut50

If you have any kind of external noise on the outside of an engine such as vac leak or squealing crankshaft seal or whatever, the very best way to find it is with a 3 ft length of heater hose or old garden hose. Place one end to your best ear and use the other end to search with. You will be surprised.