Oil Filter Piping

jord

Just now got the engine running, I am not sure if the piping for the oil filter is correct. At the rear of the engine I have three ports the top goes to the pressure switch and next the two holes on the side, the top one closest to the rear end side goes to the side of the oil filter and the lower front side port goes to the bottom of the filter housing, not sure if this is correct. I would hate to just recycle the oil up and back. Thanks for any assitance

The top port at the rear is also the "feed" port. The pressure switch is screwed into a fitting in the line that from this port to th side of the filter canister. The center port at the rear should be plugged, this port was used during manufacturing. The lower port at the rear is the return from the bottom of the filter canister. This port terminates in the feed line for the hydraulic lifters. Be sure to check the small orifice in the side of the center tube in the filter canister. It's about a couple of inches from the top. All oil flowing thru the filter must pass thru this orifice. During engine operation, after start up, oil for the lifters is supplied from the filter.

Here's a photo of a 39. The oil line just under the sending unit goes into the side of the filter.

Thanks Peecher and Flatcat I have the setup as per picture, just to make sure the line from the bottom of the filter goes back to the lower block outlet while the middle line goes into the side of the filter. My pressure switch uses the top outlet. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...