rear wheel wobbles

Phillip Robinson

Just took off the rear tyre with outer steel rim attached, and then put back on, but now the wheel wobbles_ this is a 1929 chevrolet wjth timber spoke wheels. Is there a correct way to replace the outer tyre if you have a flat tyre. This wheel has only 4 blots holding it onto the centre rim. Thanks

My question is what is wobbling? The tire? The rim (the metal part that holds the tire and tube)? or the wheel (made up of outer and inner hub, wood spokes and metal felloe) The felloe is the metal part of the wheel that the rim mounts on.

Lots of the newer tires are not as accurately made as we would hope. It is possible to not have the tire seated the same all the way around.

It is possible that the felloe is bent slightly and therefore the rim won't sit straight. (do all four rim bolts stick through the nut the same amount).

Are all your wedges the same?

I know that my wheels are straight and every time I remount a tire I spin the whole wheel with a guide beside it. Often I have to tighten or loosen one nut slightly to get rid of a slight wobble.

With a little patience the rims or felloes are quite easy to straighten with a ball pean hammer. Hard on the paint though.

I would take the tire and rim off again and spin the wheel just to be sure where your wobble is.

A loose or bad wheel bearing can cause a wobble too.

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...