1940 Buick Side Mount Details

Guest pauldridge

Guest pauldridge

I just acquired a 1940 Buick Limted 90 Special Limousine. It has the side mounts but currently they are not attached to the car. the spare tire hold-down mechanism seems to be intact, but I don't have a clue as to how to actually attach the side mount covers. The covers are in nice condition, but they have no external attachment hardware.

Can someone please describe how these units attach to the car? (Pictures would be really helpful).

If you have pictures, you could email them to me directly: phil at auldridge dot org

Thanks,

Phil

Austin

Guest pauldridge

Barney,

Thanks so much. It is a bit different from mine, but that is very helpful. the drawings seem to mostly address securing of the tire. It is still not clear to me how the actual cover is attached. Mine has no sort of attaching clips at all.

I see you are in Georgetown. I live on the other side of Austin, Dripping Springs. Perhaps I could drive up there some time and look at your set up in person? that would be helpful I know.

Phil Auldridge 512 517-0055

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]303469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]303470[/ATTACH]Attached are a couple of pictures others have sent me .... I have a 39, they should be similar.

Here's a drawing from the 1940 shop manual that I've annotated to identify the parts. The only thing that "ties down" the cover is the turnbuckle on the inner partial sidewall of the cover. There should be a hole in the cover that the upper hook goes into, and the lower hook goes through a slot at the upper inner edge of the fender well. As the tire is suspended by the braces when installed in the well, the cover slips over it and is then adjusted for tightness using the turnbuckle...you loosen the turnbuckle enough to unhook it when the cover needs to be removed.

The '40 Special/Century is very similar but seems to have an additional positioning piece unrelated to the cover.

Best,

post-31331-143143057045_thumb.jpg

Guest pauldridge

Now THAT's what I was looking for! It looks like I have everything to complete except the turnbuckle.. that should be easy enough to fabricate.

Phil