Info needed on 1938 Stude Coupe President

Guest nzstudedude

Guest nzstudedude

Hi there all, can anyone tell me where to go to find info on 38 President Coupes the one in-particular that I need info on is 4QC-1 281 any help would be great, Cheers

This is a broad question! Where do we start? Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what you would like to know?

The parts books (chassis and body) will tell you what fits across the models. 4C = 1938 President; Q1 = coupe less rumble seat; "regular" type had the spare either in the seat compartment or in the rear although on a different page in the body parts book it says the spare was only in the seat compartment. The "Custom" had the spare in the rear but on another page it doesn't delineate between Custom and Regular and all spares were in the seat compartment. 281 is the body number.

They had a 250.4 c.i. engine and it may have the "Miracle Shift" transmission with the lever mounted on the dash board. The following year the shifter was mounted on the steering column and the Miracle Shift was discontinued. It probably has a "Hill-Holder" device in the brakes.

I suggest you join the Antique Studebaker Club and perhaps the Studebaker Drivers Club. There is also a Studebaker Drivers Club chapter in NZ.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Guest nzstudedude

Yes it was a bit broad, Just trying to hook up with someone that knows about this rare coupe, cheers for your info, I be thinking you could help me out as I have this coupe, it is in poor shape but I am going to get it back on the road, but the problem I am running into too is finding history on this car, (number 281 is factory right hand drive) as I have no papers or plates I have no proof that this car was on NZ roads which means I will have to rego and cert the car as new, which means a lot of the original parts of the car (seats, lights, tail lights, etc) will have to change and it will be a 2000 and something car not a 1938.

My email is rme.ales@gmail.com

I will join the club to try and find more info

Cheers Aaron

Hey Aaron, that is a cool car. I'm not sure you will get much help here proving it was on the road in NZ but you will get feedback on the restoration for sure. I would post some pictures and I think you will generate more response. Tracing the history is always easiest to follow the known path which is to go backwards from where you got it.

You can probably orders a copy of the original production order from the

Studebaker museum.

https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

I stock parts for these cars but I am old and slow and it takes awhile to find parts.

The winter here has been very cold and I just now have been starting to go back

to my warehouse.

Robert Kapteyn

http://www.studebakerstore.com/Studebakerstore.com/Welcome.html

Guest nzstudedude

Thank you very much Robert, I will get an email to you over the next few days. The production order should help me hopefully, I just don't have the chassis number, it's gone

Cheers Aaron

The serial number was stamped into the frame. Lower flange beneath the drivers door about where you would step into the car. Will require some heavy wire brushing to bring it out. (Note: This is on the underside of the frame and can be easily accessed by simply crawling under the car at the point indicated).

Thought about that when I responded but was unsure if your car was shipped over when new as a RHD or at a later date (and therefore a LHD). In any event the number is stamped on the left side. For your possible interest I did a 4000+ word article (11 pages and 30+ images) for the June 2010 issue of Collectible Automobile. They are not hard to find on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collectible-automobile-june-2010-/131459001096

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nzstudedude

Just got info back from the Studebaker National Museum, the Coupe came to Auckland, NZ on the 3-22-1938, so someone over here ordered it and must know some thing about it, I am trying to get hold of the Drivers club here in NZ, not much joy yet