I heard a very disturbing rumor about Reliability Tours.

ak

I heard a very disturbing rumor about Reliability Tours. I hope that this is just a rumor, however I was recently told that the reason the registration fee is so expensive on a Reliability Tour (600.00 on the last Reliability) is because the participants must pay for the officers and brass of the AACA to attend. It was likewise rumored that we paid for their rooms, food and fees. Please tell me that is not possible. It certainly sounds preposterous, but I wanted to check it out. Anyone shed light on this fantastic rumor?

I heard a very disturbing rumor about Reliability Tours. I hope that this is just a rumor, however I was recently told that the reason the registration fee is so expensive on a Reliability Tour (600.00 on the last Reliability) is because the participants must pay for the officers and brass of the AACA to attend. It was likewise rumored that we paid for their rooms, food and fees. Please tell me that is not possible. It certainly sounds preposterous, but I wanted to check it out. Anyone shed light on this fantastic rumor?

This is incorrect! AACA Board members attend meets at their own expense. The only time we get any reimbursement is during a Board Meeting, whether attendance is with a Meet, or even on its own, as we have been known to do. This helps us take care of our travel costs, but keep in mind, we usually spend an extra day or even two with heavy Board business tending to business for the perpetuation of the hobby.

Our most important person though, the AACA President, does get a complimentary room & banquet meals at each event as a Thank You for our appreciation to he or she.

AACA and the Board works closely with regions and chapters guiding them to getting a good budget prepared. Depending on the area the event is in, room rates, banquet hall rates, and hospitality rooms can run the costs up. The most important part of putting on an event is the support of the area your event is hosted in. Working closely with the Chamber of Commerce and local businesses can really help with monetary support and donations, which in the end can really bring down the expenses.

Sorry to be so long winded. Oh, btw a lot of this is covered in the AACA Policies and Procedure manual here. http://www.aaca.org/images/pdf/policy_manual/AACA_Policy_and_Procedure_Manual_September_2014.pdf

Wayne

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

I rode along on the Glidden Tour in Gettysburg in 2007.

It was a week's enjoyment with fellow old-car fans, and

people got to see some private collections, picturesque

back roads, and little-known gems that the average tourist

would never see.

It seemed like the cost was considerably less than a typical

week's vacation elsewhere!

I think you are mistaken about the $600 registration fee. It was more than likely around $35-$50. Activity/lunches/banquets fees may have added up to $600, but usually that's around the price for two people. To which year's Reliability Tour are you referring?

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

How hard is it to dig up last years registrations form and put this to rest. 3 of the last 4 tours we went on ended up with a $100 refund. Tours in my opinion are the AACA's foundation.

Bob Giles

Hopefully it is already at rest Bob. The originally question has been answered and I think fully explained.

Those that tour know that there can be a menu of items or an all inclusive fee. Successful tours have been generous and given back to the tours if they made profits they felt were exccessive. Last year the Reliability Tour was presented by both the Hershey Region AACA and the Susquehanna Valley Region of the HCCA. Registration for car and driver was $300. Additional passenger $200 It is my understanding that this tour as well gave money back to the participants.

Touring, car restoration, going to shows and judging are not inexpensive these days!

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Here is what I found in the AACA Policies and Procedure manual:

4.5.5 Banquets, Receptions, and Meals

Complimentary meals should be provided to the AACANational President and spouse and the Tour Chairman. Complimentary meal for the Liaison Director is atthe discretion of the hosting region/chapter.

4.5.7 Accommodations:

A complimentary suite or adjoining rooms should be provided to the AACA National President and spouse,when attending a National Tour. This allows the AACA National President to host meetings or small socialgatherings in his room. Complimentary rooms are also to be provided for the Tour Chairman. Complimentary rooms for theLiaison Director and spouse is at the discretion of the hosting region/chapter. Many hotels will provide anumber of complimentary rooms based on the number of room/nights booked. These complimentary roomsmay be used as lodging for the Tour Liaison Director and Tour Chairman or used as a hospitality suite forall participants. If sufficient complimentary rooms cannot be negotiated for the Tour Chairman, the cost forthis room is to be included in the Tour budget.

So, all that is rumored is not necessarily untrue.

Other than the fact the tour chairman these days is not a national director. It usually is someone who belongs to the region. The P & P Manual needs some updating and that is long overdue but will probably occur this year. Sometimes a tour will have enough free rooms and they will offer one to the liaison director but that is not the norm. The club usually expects that only the President is comp and a suite has not been mandatory in the 11 years I have been here. So we are talking about ONE couple period. The rumor as presented is not based upon fact as I do not know of a single instance where the price of a tour was dictated by a complimentary room and meals for the national president. There also have been instances at a meet or tour that had a financial difficulty and did not get free rooms so the national president paid his/her own way. This has happened several times. The club never wants a region to go into the hole after they so graciously stepped up to the plate and agreed to be the host.