1937 Wheel Cylinder Question

Guest hine62

Guest hine62

One wheel cylinder needs to be replaced on our 1937 De soto. It is the Right Rear cylinder. Are wheel cylinders wheel specific? Some listing say right front or left front, but what about the rear cylinders?

hine62

Yes, all cylinders are wheel specific. Chrysler used Step wheel cylinders. One side is larger than the other. Left are lefts and rights are rights to keep the size of the pistons in the same position. I can look but I think the small pistons go to the front of the car. I got real lucky and found a new set at NAPA for my 36 Dodge. They were $60.00 each. You will need a tool to reset your brake shoes in to a circle if you have removed them. It is easy to make let me know when you get to that point. Why do you want to replace just one? Normally if one is bad the others are soon to follow.

Frank

Rear wheel cylinders are not available for most WPC cars of that era, the ones that frankingin bought at the NAPA store were for the front wheels only. The rear cylinders will have to be resleeved. There are several places that do this kind of work. Apple Hydraulics and White Post Restorations to name a couple. They should be done in pairs.

Guest hine62

Thank you for the replies. Looks like we will be sending them out to be repaired.

Is Kanter Auto an option? I haven't bought anything from them yet.

hine62

Guest Bob Call

Andy Burnbaum (oldmoparts.com) has rear wheel cylinders for $45 each. While you are replacing the wheel cylinders also replace the brake hoses. Cheap insurance. Rock Auto usually has all of the hoses.

When searching for parts always check Rock Auto (rockauto.com), Northwestern Auto Supply (northwesternautosupply.com), Egge Machine (egge.com), Andy Burnbaum, and Kanter. I have found Kanter to be a bit pricey.

I would suggest that you join the Walter P Chrysler Club (chryslerclub.org). Dues are $40 annually and you get a nice magazine 6 times a year that has ads for lots of vendors. The magazine features a different Chrysler product in 5 issues and 1 issue is coverage of the annual club meet. This March-April featured 1939 Plymouth.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)