1929 Chev AC Miss & backfire out of carb when hot

Guest Adil

Hello All,

I have a 1929 ChevAC 6 Cylinder. The car was converted to 12V before I purchased the car.

Starts ok, idles fine when cold. drives good out of driveway for about 2 blocks. After 2 blocks, it starts to miss, intermittent backfire and popping out of carb, no power and stalls. hard time to start, when it does start, it backfires and pops out of carb and won't idle. It also has a weak spark.

I changed plugs, coil with external ballast, condensor, points, rotor, cap, wires, plugs and ignition switch. I also re-adjusted valve clearance as per manual.

Driving me batty trying to figure this out. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Adil

Do you have the manual choke pushed all the way off when you leave the driveway? Or are you slowly pushing in on the choke knob?

If this was a later car with an automatic choke I'd say the two blocks is long enough for the choke to have opened completely, and the carb's main jets are dirty and the carb is running way too lean, hence the backfiring.

Assuming you have a manual choke, pull the knob out part way, providing about half choke.. see if some choke makes any difference in the poor running.

Just a thought,

GLong

Popping back through the carb usually indicates a lean mixture. It certainly could be icing. Around 31 to 35 degrees my Pontiac will ice up if the humidity is at all high. Also could be dirt in the primary jet.

Good Luck