Questions for the 1957 Special folks

g-g-g0

I need some help and clarification please.

1) I have two pair of door panels and rear quarter trim panels from what I believe to be original cars. They both have no cloth material on them. They both are black and white vinyl. I look at pictures on the internet of 1957 Buick Interiors and it looks like there is cloth insets? Any thoughts on correctness. Same question as to the back of the front seat backs on a 2 DR car. Again I see pictures of some with cloth and some with vinyl. One of the Sales Brochures I have indicates the door panels could be in "custom colors". Wonder if that applied to material?? Thoughts and opinions Please.

2) Also what would the appropriate white wall width be for a 1957 Special? I believe that I have read 2 1/2" but cannot find the post.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

For what it's worth, I have never seen cloth material on a 1957 Special interior door panel; yes they have contrasting colors on the same panel, but all in vinyl. I believe the Roadmasters in 1957 are the only ones with cloth on the door panels; possibly the Supers but I have not been around enough '57 Supers to know for sure. Someone else will have to answer the question about the back of the front seat, but the one I used to own (19,000 mile unrestored '57 Special) was all vinyl on the back of the seat.

2-1/2 to 2-3/4" on the whitewall width.

Pete Phillips

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Gary,

In the base Specials sedans (2 dr / 4dr/ 4dr wagon), the vinyl on vinyl door panels are correct. There was an option to order a deluxe interior combination with the "Riveria" models (Hardtops) (and maybe even with the sedans, but not sure) that did have a cloth insert and different trim style in it. I will send you some additional information on it when I get to my computer. But here are some photo's of an original interior with that trim style (Ohio car that was auctioned off with 5186 original miles):

post-65800-143143050274_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143143050276_thumb.jpg

post-65800-14314305028_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1957buickjim (see edit history)

Thanks Jim! Your door panels are indeed like the ones I have. The seats in my car have been re-upholstered in some funky tan material. What a waste! I have another front seat out of a car I parted. It has the black cloth insert. The trim code on my car is 471 which calls for grey cloth and ivory which is what you have. Will see what I get in the way of samples from the suppliers.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...