Tracking down a VIN

Frantz

I have folks who asked me to try and track down their fathers old car which he hasn't owned since the 70s. I told them that it was highly unlikely still around, but if it was then it might be easy to find. It's a 60's Ford Anglia. I didn't know if there was any way you all could think of to find a VIN as they don't have this. I told them to go back though boxes of old documents as I've found old registration cards when going through such things of my own family. We checked with DMV, they said they couldn't do anything. I've registered with an American English Ford Forum to see what I find there. I realize its a 100 haystack search with no guarantee of a needle in any of them, but it's a fun hunt for me to try and help em out.

The car was owned in the mid 70s in Pottsville Pa. From the picture they sent me, it is on the 700 block of Laurel Blvd. I'm not sure on year yet, still trying to get an education on the car.

post-100380-143143049922_thumb.jpg

It's a 105 E Anglia. They were considered cheap and disposable in the 70's. These days people really like them, the Harry Potter movie where one played a prominent role helped. They were somewhat cheaply made and suffer badly from rust, so few survivors. They can be real road burners if kitted out with a Zetec {close to a bolt in so more or less reverseable if a future owner desires } as quite a few have.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Yeah I felt all proud that I knew what the car was when they told me and then the one 20 year old girl that works here was like, everyone knows them, it was in Harry Potter. I think this picture is from 73-74 from what they told me, so if its a 10 year old car in PA, it looks fairly well cared for, so maybe an enthusiast ended up with it. That's about the only hope it's around. Worse case I'll try and help them find one just like "dads" and help them enjoy the hobby. They aren't currently old car folks, but would like to get this vehicle.

Here is my current list to find info:

Look for old documentation their dad may have stored in boxes

Sweep the internet for registries

Find fans of Anglia's who may have a handle on some local cars

Not that it helps any but the car is between a 1959-1965 model (1966-1967 used amber front corner turn lenses). The Europeans used the same body/chassis designs for several years unlike we in America changed every 3 years shell-mechanically and every year with trim. There must be something with a VIN number about it laying somewhere unless it was all tossed years ago? The DMV would need it to do a title search and if they were disposible rust-bucket cars, I am sure was crushed long ago.

Edited by James B. (see edit history)

Thanks James B. I suspected they did rolling changes sorta like other Euro companies. The family is going to see what they can find going through boxes. If their father didn't move much after selling the car then I'd put money on the idea that there is paperwork somewhere with the VIN.

These VIN/serial number search questions come up almost weekly. The answer is always the same. You're, pretty much, SOL. One time in a million, someone will say, "Hey, I know where that car is." The rest remain a mystery. All DMVs are notoriously unwilling to help in these searches. Privacy laws. I know LEOs who have told me that even they need good reason to run a VIN. You cannot do it on a whim or to answer some burning question that you have about your old car.

Oh I know the odds. I know the car is actually at toaster. But.. I also know that there aren't many Anglia's out there, so on the off chance it is still around, it's a findable car. The more pieces of the puzzle I have the better the odds are of discovering the car's fate. I'm doing this because a nice couple who are not currently in the car hobby approached me. I was very realistic with them but felt it was both my duty, and enjoyment, to chase down the leads. I was an intel analyst in the Army, so maybe it's just remembering old times hunting bad guys, but it's fun for me.

I also know the odds of getting useful stuff from a Forum, but the odds of getting somewhere without asking are even lower.

One of my best friends from high school (graduated '66) drove what we called an "English Ford" which, given our financial status, likely would have been about a 1960 model. He named it Pugsley and we had a lot of fun in it. It was white. I lost contact with him after graduation but interestingly he attended Kutztown University in the Reading, PA area and remained there after graduation I believe. If you pm me I can give you his name and other info that may help you track him down. It's a long shot but you never know.