WHAT TO SOFTEN HARD GASKETS

dei

I suspect that "shrinkage" is the main issue, with "hardness" being secondary in this situation. I suspect that even if you could get them to soften up, they'd still break as they have shrunk from their original size.

How close is their size to other similar oil filter seals that GM and others used to use? IF you might find some large diameter O-rings, make SURE they are rated to handle oil products. If they are not, in a few weeks, they'll swell and not seal very well. Does anybody sell new oil filters for those canisters? Then they'd probably have some new seals with them?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

If you use NOS filters and the gasket has been in the box for 40 years (curved around the filter), it probably won't straighten. For now, you can make a gasket out of the blue gasket material (1/8"?). Then probably try contacting NAPA and seeing if they can get new ones.

First off,

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR suggestions! :)

Secondly,

Stopped by the garage and slipped the broken gasket in a dish of transmission oil to see if that might have any effect (before getting back and reading all the posts). Nothing really to lose.

Thirdly,

Called around four places and yes they can supply new (?) filters with gaskets but.........

This is what I love about living in Canada :mad:,

1- Not one can supply anything over night - three business days..

2- Prices were anywhere from 18.00 to 27.00 ea Canadian (plus 13% gov tax).

When compared to the US suppliers I can get the Fram for 11.95 US and the Wix for 8.99 US. Naturally I would have to covert my Canadian to US at about 28 cents per dollar and pay 5 bucks toll each way at the Border and... deal with Customs on both sides plus possible duty (depending on the Officers mood) and have to come back due to not in stock (overnight would happen in most places).

If I'd thought about this more I was just over there Saturday dropping off our friends at Metro and could have prepaid for a few, then go back one night this week (plus buy a tank of gas at the Border cheaper than the 3.72/gal I pay in Canada) sheeesh!:(

Biting the bullet and ordered one at the 18.00 price here in Windsor to be picked up Thursday. The gasket better sure be pliable and fit and not be some NOS!:P

Edited by dei
adding information to be more clear (see edit history)

Good information, Old-Tank! The Wix element is in RockAuto.com for about $6.26 USD. Not sure what it might be in CD, though, or how much shipping expenses might be involved. Using something like that might save a little in gasoline, possibly? Many auto parts chains have online catalogs for shopping, too . . . no specific need to physically visit the store that way, unless you want to.

Take care,

NTX5467

The last oil change I had done was in a local garage (new filter and gasket then) and when I picked her up the shop owner said they had trouble getting it to stop leaking at first but it was OK.

Sunday when I tried to loosen it I ended up putting a wrench on the handle of my socket wrench and still had to tap it a few times with a hammer to get to turn! Guess they really torqued it down so the gasket is garbage now. :mad:

Usually a leak from that area is from them not realizing there is already a gasket there and installing another one. Two don't seal better than one.

Axe me how I know.

I did that once (and only once) too! It only took two quarts to top her up again......

post-36036-14314305089_thumb.jpg

One thing about oil leaks, they're a "rust preventative coating", IF allowed to be such.

The same "two gasket" leak can also happen on normal spin-on filters too, IF the old seal might remain on the block rather than in the crimps on the filter housing, when removed. Never done that, just heard about it from the (prior times) service station owner.

NTX5467

There is something about an oil change that is a little like foreplay. You get a chance to be intimate with areas of your car you don't normally visit and really get to know and appreciate it.

When you take it to a shop they seem to skip that and just bludgeon right in there, don't they. And we all know how to reword that, I'm sure.

Bernie

There is something about an oil change that is a little like foreplay. You get a chance to be intimate with areas of your car you don't normally visit and really get to know and appreciate it.

Must be real intimate when dealing with the rear end axle gear oil change out. :rolleyes:

One thing about oil leaks, they're a "rust preventative coating", IF allowed to be such.

The same "two gasket" leak can also happen on normal spin-on filters too, IF the old seal might remain on the block rather than in the crimps on the filter housing, when removed. Never done that, just heard about it from the (prior times) service station owner.

NTX5467

One of my first real jobs was changing oil at a Toyota dealership. It only took me 1 time and the grief that all the mechanics gave me to learn to check for that old gasket. Started the car and left a trail from the lift to the garage door.

Don't feel bad fellas. I owned a 73 Estate Wagon with 455. I replaced the timing gears and chain. Re-installed the timing cover/waterpump. Packed the oil pump with lube so it would prime. Filled the crank case with fresh 5 quarts of oil. She fired right up. Oil light stayed on and would not go off. Large puddle of oil forming under the car. The new oil filter still in the bag on the front seat. Well...I guess that beats all with buggered seals! :rolleyes:

In many cases, when WE do an oil/filter change on our vehicles, WE know what we're looking at and how it should be. Doing that can be stress relief, which can be mutually beneficial for us and our vehicle(s) being attended to. AND we can probably do it "In 30 minutes or less . . . NO Waiting". No long string of "suggested/recommended services", either, unless WE make one.

Of course, if desired, we can FEEL the difference in the new oil and the old oil. How many of us have "gotten down and oily" with used oil, as it sinks into the dried-out skin in the palm(s) of your hand and lived to tell about it? Now, they tell us that's dangerous and potentially hazardous to our health . . . our skin absorbing all of those nasties, even in new motor oil. NOW, "protection" is highly recommended.

NTX5467