New to the BCA

Guest DiXiEnailhead

Guest DiXiEnailhead

I just joined the BCA and I just thought I would introduce my self and my car. I have a 1955 76r Roadmaster. I have yet to upload any pictures so bare with me haha. It is a heavily optioned car that is a big project. It was originally white on the roof black above the trim and white below the trim. it has factory air, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power antenna, power seats,tissue dispenser and selectronic radio. It also has a continental kit though I'm assuming that was a dealer item. The original owner was the son of one of the proprietors of the Noel Hotel(has been turned into an office building) in Nashville,TN. The car has virtually zero rust but needs a lot of body work, interior work and a complete mechanical restoration. The engine was locked when I purchased the car so I pulled a 322 out of a 56 special that is so clean inside and I'm in the process of getting it ready to swap out(but I am keeping the original 322 just in case I ever want to make all the numbers correct).

Edited by DiXiEnailhead (see edit history)

Guest DiXiEnailhead

Thanks guys, funny you should say that Larry my pictures are actually too large to process so I guess I should take pictures with a lower quality camera. I think this forum will be an invaluable resource me. I'm putting her mostly back to stock but with a few easily reversible touches. I am going to upgrade the brake system(to what extent I'm unsure). I might lower it a 2 or 3 inches and put dual exhaust on it but that's about it. I want everything else bone stock.

You might try resizing the pictures depending on the software that you are using.

If you go to the file list of your pictures in your picture folder or the file you store the pictures, and left click your mouse on the picture a menu may come up.

Go down to where it says to resize the picture.

Then choose small and you will get a duplicate of the picture, but in a smaller format.

Usually about 75K.

If you are unable to do that, then you may need to get some different software that will allow you to resize the pictures.

Welcome aboard!

There are two ways to select "file size". One is in the camera settings themselves and the other is in the "resize" procedure mentioned (where the physical size of the picture is reduced, rather than any possible resolution changes in the camera settings).

It sounds like you have the makins of a really nice Buick! Please keep us posted on your progress!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest DiXiEnailhead

Thanks for the advice guys, that did the trick! I just uploaded a few pictures on to my gallery. She is a little naked at the moment and still in need of a lot of tlc but I'll get to that after I get the drivetrain and the brakes squared away.

Guest DiXiEnailhead

Shoot! I wonder what the deal is, I can see them on my profile. I have them on public mode. Thanks buick5563 all I know is that when I ran that '56 322 it sounded great and didn't smoke. Nobody will be the wiser unless they check the numbers haha. I'll try posting some pictures, we'll see how it goes. post-108413-143143051031_thumb.jpg

post-108413-143143051036_thumb.jpg

post-108413-14314305104_thumb.jpg

post-108413-143143051043_thumb.jpg

post-108413-143143051045_thumb.jpg

post-108413-143143051048_thumb.jpg

post-108413-143143051051_thumb.jpg

Guest DiXiEnailhead

When I was trying to decide what project to take on that is exactly what I wanted. A silky smooth cruiser that is. Thanks Bhambulldog, I've been meaning to look up the production figures for a/c equipped Roadmasters, I think only something like 25% of caddies had a/c in '55. I'm really hoping I have everything I need to make it functional. I can't imagine that the parts would be very easy to come by.

When I was trying to decide what project to take on that is exactly what I wanted. A silky smooth cruiser that is. Thanks Bhambulldog, I've been meaning to look up the production figures for a/c equipped Roadmasters, I think only something like 25% of caddies had a/c in '55. I'm really hoping I have everything I need to make it functional. I can't imagine that the parts would be very easy to come by.

When you get around to the a/c check back, I can help. Right now put a wrench on the 1/2" bolt in the front...if it turns, you have the first step...a good compressor. When you remove it to pull the engine, seal it with tape and put it in the house...those things tend to rust inside if in a humid area.

Willie

Guest DiXiEnailhead

That's good to know Willie, I will certainly do that. Oh yeah haha there is plenty of humidity, it isn't quite as bad as Florida though. Well the bolt turns so at least I have that going for me. Is there a rebuild kit readily available? As you can see I'm not there yet but I'm just curious. Thanks.

Rebuild?...for your reading pleasure (my method): http://www.buickrestorer.com/aircondseal/compressorseal.html

This is seal replacement, which usually all that is needed...replacement of bearings or valves is doable, but will be a longer search for parts. You should do it, since sending off will be at least $100 shipping each way and Classic Air will charge $800; I've done them for half that, but be warned, I am old and slow!

Willie

Guest DiXiEnailhead

Thanks for the link, very informative! I love learning how to do things I've never done plus I just love taking things apart and figuring out how they work. Maybe I'll take a whack at it myself when the time comes. One of the things I love about this car is the involvement that it requires from me in the restoration of the entire car of course but the mechanical pieces in particular. It's proving to be both challenging and interesting, not to mention how satisfying it is to make something work that's been sitting dormant for 25 years. Of course there are moments when everyone wishes that their car were cheaper or easier to restore but personally I'm glad that there isn't an abundance of cheap aftermarket parts and easy solutions, that's half the fun of it for me. I don't expect to have it done this year by any means but I think it would be fitting to get her road worthy again in her 60th year, that's my goal.