Okay I give, Wiring 911 please

alini

I have the center console ready to mount once the carpet arrives. In the harness for the center console itself is this light bulb. I found in a pic I took when I disassembled the car it goes near the ashtray/heater controls. The heater control unit has 4 round socket light bulbs, I have those accounted for. This one is in the console wiring. Its grey wire, just like the other interior lights. I dont see a spot on the ashtray for it and the length of wire doesnt allow for it to go much further

help2.JPG

And then I have this Green wire, its mounted to the base of the shifter and has a spade connector on it. I cant find anything in the console that would connect to it and not sure why a Ground is Green.

help3.JPG

My wiring diagram shows two green wires for the back up lights in the console area. A dark green one comes from the fuse box and the light green one goes to the lamps in the rear bumper. Can you run a continuity check on them to see where the other ends might be? For the other lamp you're looking at is secured to ????? by squeezing the small prongs together and inserting them into two small slots. There's probably a hole close to the slots that allows a small amount of light to enter. I won't be looking at my car for a couple of days. If you haven't found where everything goes by Thursday, let me know and I'll look at my car. The console is out but I'll see if I can figure it out.

Ed

Thanks Ed, the green wire in question is not the reverse light wiring those are in the harness and one end attached to the switch already. This is a single wire, not in any harness the pic shows both ends. One is under the shifter the other is a spade connector. All the grounds for the console lights are in the console harness itself. So not sure about that one.

The light bulb I have looked for a square hole for it to snap into, there are none. The wiring diagram I have shows 4 bulbs for the AC controls but they are all accounted for. This one is stand alone and part of the console wiring harness, so it goes to the center console somehow. Its obviously not one of the round courtesy lights and both of those bulbs in their holders. The ashtray mount I have does not have a light on it.....is there supposed to be one on a 65?

I found where the lamp goes. It attaches to the body of the cigar lighter. Two slots, but no peep hole. In my stash of parts, I found both a '63 and a '64/65 lighter and each has the slots for the tabs on the lamp housing. I can send you a picture if you need one. If the green wire is not part of a harness, I would tend to think that it's just an extra wire that someone used for something "once upon a time."

Ed

Amazing, I just looked over the cigarette lighter and the way mine is positioned it covers the slots so I didnt see them. I see now there is a small hole around 10'oclock around the lighter hole, I imagine it is supposed to line up with that??

The cigarette lighter has a spade terminal for the lighter ground,and the ashtray has some tiny holes

to let some light shine in the ashtray,watch orentation to get some light through those holes.

the lighter also has the power wire which slides on the cigarette lighter fuse which screws on

the cigar or cigarette lighter itself.hope this helps? best regards Gordie.

The cigarette lighter has a spade terminal for the lighter ground,and the ashtray has some tiny holes

to let some light shine in the ashtray,watch orentation to get some light through those holes.

the lighter also has the power wire which slides on the cigarette lighter fuse which screws on

the cigar or cigarette lighter itself.hope this helps? best regards Gordie.

What he said....

Tom

The cigarette lighter has red for power ,black ground,a green plastic sleeve insulates the lighter,and makes the light appear green. As for the wires you are holding,neutral safety switch has dk green and lt green ,this may help sort out question. best regards Gordie.