1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sedan with factory A/C

*SOLD*

This wonderful 1956 Olds 98 Holiday hardtop sedan is a very impressive luxury cruiser, with just over 53,000 original miles and one repaint in its original colors of Alcan White over Charcoal Gray. The stunning red and gray interior is 100% original and has the most beautifully fitted set of clear plastic seat covers I've ever seen. It's also got options like power windows, power front seat, and factory A/C. The dramatic sweeping trim makes a bold statement in two-tone colors like this, and the subtle combination works quite well, particularly with the red interior. The repaint is a few years old but was done to a very high standard, even wrapping into the jambs where the masking lines are crisp and clean. From the condition of it, I'd also guess that some of the chrome has been restored and there are very faint polishing marks on the stainless, so it's been refinished, too. The effect is a very high-grade luxury car that looks absolutely fantastic. The unique taillights are in excellent condition and the only notable demerit on the exterior is the original OLDSMOBILE badge in the grille, which has some light pitting. All four doors fit well without slamming and I have no reason to believe this car was ever wrecked or rusty.

The spectacular two-tone interior is what makes this car truly special. It's totally original and the last owner spent more than $2000 having those custom seat covers made. Maybe you don't like the clear plastic look, but there's no denying that they're really nicely done--note that they even wrapped the center arm rest in back and all the hardware on the back of the front seat was removed, the covers were installed, then the trim was reinstalled. This was not a quickie slip-on job. The point was clearly to preserve an immaculate original interior in gray patterned cloth and red leather, and the clear covers hide nothing. There is no notable wear, no cracking in the leather, no split seams, and I applaud the preservation efforts because this car deserves it. The door panels are equally nice and the exquisite headliner with chrome header bows looks almost new. The sparkling dash shows bright chrome details and the steering wheel isn't cracked or discolored. All four windows power up and down effortlessly, the seat moves better than the one in my new Cadillac, the dual-speaker AM radio is fully functional, and the A/C chills but the blower isn't working, so we're checking on that. The only other demerit is a wear spot in the carpet about the size of a silver dollar, just adjacent to the accelerator pedal, which is obviously where your foot would rub. The trunk is 100% original with a factory mat in decent condition and no surprises underneath. There is no spare, but a proper one shouldn't be difficult to procure--the previous owner was intending to do that but just didn't get around to it.

Mechanically, the 324 cubic inch "Rocket V8" is a beautiful runner. It starts quickly with the assistance of a switchable electric fuel pump and while it's a little grumpy when it's cold, once it's up to temperature it runs superbly. I like the '50s definition of luxury, which isn't total isolation like it is today, but rather the feel of a very large machine going about its business with a very expensive, precision feel that's an absolute delight. The engine bay is clean and totally original save for the air cleaner, which was repainted to match the body for some reason. The A/C was changed to R134a refrigerant, but otherwise the engine is completely stock and has never been apart. The Jetaway 3-speed automatic transmission shifts cleanly and firmly and it cruises easily at modern highway speeds. The undercarriage is original and was probably undercoated when it was new, but it received a brand new dual exhaust system last year and a set of fresh 235/75/15 Coker wide whitewall radials that ride and handle beautifully. Original hubcaps are in good shape with a few dings, and I really like Oldsmobile's space theme with miniature Saturn emblems around the perimeter of the hubcaps.

A very high quality '50s luxury car with desirable options in great colors. Not quite a survivor, but with enough authenticity to make it a great find for the fan of originality. Holiday coupes are skyrocketing in value, and while the sedan isn't as sexy, there's no denying that it's gorgeous and the accommodations are first-class all the way. We're asking $32,900 and I'm always open to reasonable offers. Where else can you get this much gorgeous sheetmetal for so little cash? Thanks for looking!

post-31138-143143048924_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048928_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048934_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048939_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048944_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048949_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048955_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314304896_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048965_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048971_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048976_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048981_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048985_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314304899_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143048994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

It is rather handsome in profile and I do like 4-door sedans for their practicality. I sat in the back of this one for a while just absorbing the atmosphere and it's a great place to spend some time. Easy to envision a road trip with the family in a car like this. I didn't expect to like this car as much as I do, but it just feels substantial. Hard to define, but everything on it has a heft, a solidity that was surely part of the luxury feel back then. It isn't an isolation chamber like today's luxury cars, but it nonetheless feels very expensive and precise (which is a word I keep coming back to when describing this car).

post-31138-14314305013_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143050135_thumb.jpg

There is no spare with the car, but I bet it uses the same 15x6 wheels that most other mid-sized GM cars of the '50s used, so it shouldn't be hard to procure one. The previous owner intended on finding one but just never got around to it. The tires on the car today are Coker wide whitewall radials that were installed about two years ago, so they're still quite fresh. The seat covers are beautifully fitted, but I haven't explored how to remove them. They are not just slip-on, they required the seat cushions to be removed and the robe rail hardware on the back of the front seat has to be removed as well. Quite honestly, I've never seen plastic seat covers like these and the previous owner says he spent more than $2000 having them custom made. They're not my thing, but given the immaculate condition of the upholstery, the worthy efforts to preserve it are very much appreciated. The car comes with an owner's manual and a shop manual.

Please let me know if you're seriously interested, this is a first-class car in spectacular condition and ready to enjoy and perhaps collect some awards. I've never seen a nicer original interior on any car of any kind from this period.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

Matt

Clear plastic seat covers like fitted on this car were quite common in the 50's and early 60's. Last I had of this type were on a 62 Impala sport sedan my mother bought new. The covers were custom made by a local upholstery shop about a week after she purchased the car. They were still on the car and in good condition when she bought a new 72 Caprice and gave the Impala to me. All clear plastic covers I ever saw were custom made.

As for wheels, if the car was originally fitted with 8.20 X 15 tires the wheels were 15 x 6 part #557559. If it was fitted with 7.60 X 15 or 8.00 X 15 tires the wheels were 15 x 5.5 part #567705 Olds or #531228 Pontiac. Since it is an A/C car I suspect it had 8.20 X 15 tires.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)