A Tribute and Farewell to the 1954 Buick Landau

MrEarl

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from my good friend Bob Coker, owner of the 1954 Buick Landau Concept Car. He reported that he had found a buyer for the Landau and it would be heading to a private museum in Louisiana within a week or two. As a lot of you probably know, ever since Bob purchased the car at a RM auction at Amelia Island back in March of 2010,

919576_zpsawrlcibi.jpg

he has most graciously allowed me to participate in helping to carry it to shows and act as chauffeur and custodian to display and reveal it to the public unarguably more than it has ever been since it's debut at the General Motors Motorama shows back in 1954.

clip_image002_zps54bycc5s.jpg

SCAN%20crpd_zpsrsjpcuul.jpg

There were many miles of smiles during the making of one of the best friendships of my life during these travels. From Ames, Iowa where the car WOWED it's place into a Gold Senior

100_9063_zpsrsog0xiz.jpg

and ladies were welcomed to pose in the back seat...

Bugle%202_zpse6d6qz3m.jpg

051_zpsot3utsi8.jpg

100_9083_zpsyzdnljuo.jpg

to Amelia Island Concourse De Elegance where it sat proudly amongst other similar Landaus of it's day.

100_2799_zpsdw4mhlc9.jpg

100_2796_zpsi01tzp0j.jpg

100_2829_zpsdc4f5bce.jpg

100_3000_zpsu7sgfext.jpg

Bob is not one to pose for the camera and this next picture was taken the first day I visited Bob and the Landau back in 2010, and is one of the few I have ever been able to get of him and the car.

100_8616_zpsybwvkmmv.jpg

Upon hearing that the Landau would be leaving Bobs shortly I quickly put all else aside and made plans to visit with Bob and the Beautiful Landau one more time. Here are a few shots of that day. I hope these pictures show half of how beautiful and exquisite this one of automobile is. I wanted to capture as many good and detailed shots as possible as I know many of you have never seen the car in person and now may never will, since it is going to a somewhat private museum with limited showings.

Enjoy!

P1010431_zpspx6jngwf.jpg

P1010463_zpsobelwofg.jpg

P1010460_zpsmslqubcr.jpg

P1010436_zpsro4rlf13.jpg

P1010441_zpsa98awxc8.jpg

P1010425_zpsx8eokfxj.jpg

P1010421_zpswsfvngtn.jpg

P1010429_zpsdnrobnof.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I know it has been said that it is going to a good home, I still feel in a way the Buick community has lost it somehow. It was in the best hands it could be in (unless you had bought it Lamar)

D Yaros,

Take a closer at the back of the trailer. The back of the trailer is covered with an image of what the inside looks like. Note the trailer door hardware on the photo wrap.

Lamar

Thank you for sharing those great pictures. I was at Ames and was truly WOOOOOOWOOOOOED!!!! at the beautiful Landau! Even got my picture taken sitting in the drivers seat. And Mr. Bob Coker thank you so much for so graciously sharing and showing the car to other Buick folks while under your watch. As they say "It was a Good Ride while it lasted"!!

Thanks again to Bob and Lamar! Memories that I will cherish forever. I hope the new owner will bring her out once in awhile for others to see. A marvelous work of art!

God Bless Bob!!

Gary

Fantastic photos, Lamar. Thank you for sharing this great Buick treasure with us here on the forum. I'm among those who has never seen the car in-person, and it's great that the Buick enthusiasts get to see it here.
Lamar

Thank you for sharing those great pictures. I was at Ames and was truly WOOOOOOWOOOOOED!!!! at the beautiful Landau! Even got my picture taken sitting in the drivers seat. And Mr. Bob Coker thank you so much for so graciously sharing and showing the car to other Buick folks while under your watch. As they say "It was a Good Ride while it lasted"!!

Thanks again to Bob and Lamar! Memories that I will cherish forever. I hope the new owner will bring her out once in awhile for others to see. A marvelous work of art!

God Bless Bob!!

Gary

Thanks Brian and Gary, as you may have noticed I reserved another post at the top so I could add more pictures initially and hope to add more later. I also hope others will post any pictures they may have of the car. Indeed Gary, " IT WAS A GOOD RIDE WHILE IT LASTED" They don't come any better than Bob Coker and the 54 Landau. Both truly one off's!!!!

Could someone tell me which private collection in Louisiana is the recipient?

Marty it went to Henry Shane / Cars of Yesteryears, Inc in Metaririe, LA.

Lamar, Thank you for a great write up and photos.

I saw the Landau at the 2011 BCA Nationals in Danvers. Great car. Fell in love right away.

I also feel that the Buick community has lost it.

I'm certain it's in a good home, but I my view it will be seen or shown at shows very few times in comparison

to Bob Coker's tenure.

For those who are not familiar with the new owners their photo is below.

10344059-standard.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Can't think of much more to add except to say THANKS Bob, for all the great cars you brought to the Nationals. And Thanks Lamar for helpin him do it. Folks that miss the Nationals just will never know what they have missed. You two have done a marvelous job this past few years.

It is great to have Buick owners like Bob and Lamar that share these rare vehicles with us at Buick meets.

I have nothing against museums but in many cases the cars just sit there, roped off and protected.

I hope that both of you make it to Springfield..... I want to shake you hand and say THANKS again.

Thanks for the many nice comments everybody, I truly enjoyed doing it. I think James summed it up pretty well...........

That is a beautiful car.

And, it does somehow seem like we are losing something.

Thanks to Bob Coker for making it seem like 'our' car.

I don't know how many times I asked Bob how he wanted to do something or what do you think about doing this or that and his typical reply was, "I don't care, just treat it like it's yours"

Oh, and I have added some background music above;):rolleyes:;)

I don't know how many times I asked Bob how he wanted to do something or what do you think about doing this or that and his typical reply was, "I don't care, just treat it like it's yours"

....and that is why we in the Buick community feel we have lost "The Landau", but we still have Bob and Lamar.

Ames wasn't the only time I saw it, but was the most memorable, considering I had our '54 there. We had fun doing a photo shoot of the two cars and some of the family getting chauffeured around the site in it. Good memories.

I li will need to get back to this post on a computer to include some of our photos.

Thanks Bob and Lamar.

Thank you for the beautiful photos and tribute Lamar.

I remember seeing the Landau on display at one of the early BCA Flint National Meets, around 1972-1973. The color of the car was a lighter blue than the current color. I was excited about the style of this car back then, and I am still excited to see it today!

Gary Klecka, BCA #1955

The Landau's new home

Henry Shane....Cars Of Yesteryears, 4633 Fairfield St, Metairie, LA

http://www.wxxv25.com/mediacenter/lo...ideoid=5381919

302627d1427660325-tribute-farewell-1954-buick-landau-landau-new-home_3-21-2015-1.jpg

and to go full circle, with this video and song that some of you may remember done by member Bob (Robert) LeBlanc of the day my son and I visited Bob and the Landau a few days after it arrived at Bob's

https://vimeo.com/10507071

The Landau's new home

Henry Shane....Cars Of Yesteryears, 4633 Fairfield St, Metairie, LA

http://www.wxxv25.com/mediacenter/lo...ideoid=5381919

302627d1427660325-tribute-farewell-1954-buick-landau-landau-new-home_3-21-2015-1.jpg

and to go full circle, with this video and song that some of you may remember done by member Bob (Robert) LeBlanc of the day my son and I visited Bob and the Landau a few days after it arrived at Bob's

https://vimeo.com/10507071

Henry Shane's museum, Cars of Yesteryear is walking distance (less than a half-mile) from our home, and is a wonderful collection of cars, toys, and Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park memorabilia, occasionally open to special groups. Our local club was invited several years ago.

Henry Shane's museum, Cars of Yesteryear is walking distance (less than a half-mile) from our home, and is a wonderful collection of cars, toys, and Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park memorabilia, occasionally open to special groups. Our local club was invited several years ago.

Great, so I'll have a place to stay when I come out to visit the ol' girl and within walking distance at that. Cool

• 2 weeks later...
Ames wasn't the only time I saw it, but was the most memorable, considering I had our '54 there. We had fun doing a photo shoot of the two cars and some of the family getting chauffeured around the site in it. Good memories.

I li will need to get back to this post on a computer to include some of our photos.

Thanks Bob and Lamar.

Just ran across this. Gotta agree with you Derek, I think Ames was the most fun Bob and I had with the Landau. Thanks to Rick Young, Bill Stoneburg and others, the car was well promoted and highly honored while there.

post-31987-14314309766_thumb.jpg

Lamar, That was a awesome time with you and Bob. Please forward him my best.

I have a pic of the former 1st lady in the back seat:rolleyes: in my garage.

What was the name of that model?? We found her name????

She sure was purrtty

Let me clarify that. The picture is of the 1st lady in the Landau. That picture is hanging in the garage next to the picture I got from GM Photo Store of the Landau:o

I still have my Landau shirt and it is my favorite. Maybe it's time to wash it.

Edited by RICK YOUNG (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

The 1954 Buick Landau is available in 1/43 scale.

The link below is just one of several companies selling the Landau.

http://www.mintmodels.com/buick.aspx

After looking at several sites selling the Landau model I find it strange that they are not representing it with a picture of the actual model but rather with an OLD show photo of it prior to Bob Coker adding the correct wheel covers.

54_Buick_Landau_DV_06AI_0101.jpg

After looking at several sites selling the Landau model I find it strange that they are not representing it with a picture of the actual model but rather with an OLD show photo of it prior to Bob Coker adding the correct wheel covers.

54_Buick_Landau_DV_06AI_0101.jpg

...because the models have not been built yet. These model sites are pre booking.

Lets hope it is built with the correct wheel covers.

I did order mine.

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

The day I visited the Landau just before it's departure from Bobs to LA, I took a LOT of detailed shots of every part of the car thinking "someday" "somebody" is going to want to make a model of this car. Gotta wonder how that is taking place, ie if the maker has visited the car in it's new museum home or ? 

I recall Bob was approached at Ameila Island by someone interested in making a scale model of the Landau and offered the sum of "a free model" in return. Bob's "easy" answer..... NO

Just ran across these pictures I don't think I have posted before. Gary fit behind the steering wheel 'bout as good as I did, he he

post-77380-0-68140000-1445903650_thumb.j

post-77380-0-69131000-1445903670_thumb.j

• Like 1