Sounds of drag strip engines!

Never had the one shown, but I have one called "The Big Sounds of Drags" made in the 60's I believe. As kids, we used to turn up the volume, spread the speakers apart as far as they would go, and then listen in stereo as the sounds went from one speaker to the next. The neighbors hated it, but at that age we didn't much care.

Awesome ... hoped others would be familiar with this.

caddyshack: yes, that was done in the 1960s, someone mentioned to me it was originally recorded in 1963 & released in 1964. They weren't sure if that was 100% accurate, tho.

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"Got my pedal to the metal" __ Sheryl Crow __ 'Real Gone'

I also have the Big Sounds of the Drags album and also one recorded at race tracks (would take awhile to find either). If you really want to blow your mind listen to Big Sounds of the Drags with head phones and have the dragster go from one ear to the other through your head.

1963 Pontiac Catalina. Blown 421, T-400

1963 Pontiac Tempest with the "Indy-4" ( 1/2 or rt. bank of the 389 V-8) with a 4speed rear transaxle;

There is a book titled "In the Red" written by Nick Mason who was the drummer for Pink Floyd and who has a large collection of vintage high performance and race cars.

The book comes with a CD of recordings of the different cars on the race track starting up, accelerating and then making high speed passes.

The sound of the V16 BRM going past at full throttle is something to behold. Terrifies the other motorists stopped at the traffic lights when you put in the CD player and turn it up full bore.

Well worth a listen if you can find a copy.

The timing is right on. I believe it was a '63 release, and I will check it out when I get home.

Cool beans ... did you happen to check? Would love to know for sure!

Love those videos ... thank you for sharing 'em!

& David ... I'm going to have to see if I can locate a copy ... the book & CD sound awesome!

"Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us" __ Mat Kearney __ 'Nothing Left To Lose'

ScarredKnightfan

Just got home and found the album. No date that I could find. "The Big Sounds of Drags" Produced by Jim Economides, Album photos by Ed Thrasher, Recording Engineer Bill Robinson, Capital Records ST 2001 (not the recording date). Advertised on the jacket as "featuring everything from the big, blown AA dragsters to the super-stock automatics. Stockers, Roadsters, and the final moments of the Big Eliminations. My jacket is toast from water damage, but the vinyl looks okay. Now all I need is a turntable and stereo. Hope this helps, good luck.

David,

Sure appreciate that link ... was afraid it'd be a bit more expensive than I can handle right now (without a job or income). HOWEVER, I will save that for future reference ... who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to get it!

caddyshack,

I have a turntable & stereo. LOL.

Meantime, a quick search & I found this...

http://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-The-Big-Sounds-Of-The-Drags/release/3455624

...which says released in 1963.

"We're outta here" __ Steve Azar __ 'I Don't Have To Be Me 'Til Monday'

ScarredKnightfan

Just got home and found the album. No date that I could find. "The Big Sounds of Drags" Produced by Jim Economides, Album photos by Ed Thrasher, Recording Engineer Bill Robinson, Capital Records ST 2001 (not the recording date). Advertised on the jacket as "featuring everything from the big, blown AA dragsters to the super-stock automatics. Stockers, Roadsters, and the final moments of the Big Eliminations. My jacket is toast from water damage, but the vinyl looks okay. Now all I need is a turntable and stereo. Hope this helps, good luck.

[TABLE=class: infobox vevent haudio, width: 22]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: center]220px-Big_Sounds_of_the_Drags.jpg[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: description, bgcolor: lightsteelblue, colspan: 2, align: center]Studio album by Junkie XL[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Released[/TH]

[TD=class: published]1999

2000 (reissue)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Recorded[/TH]

[TD]1999[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Genre[/TH]

[TD=class: category]Electronica, hip hop, big beat, house, electronic rock[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Label[/TH]

[TD]Manifesto Records[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Producer[/TH]

[TD]Junkie XL[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Guest greasysgarage
The one I have was definitely the 60s, 63 would be about right since I bought my copy when I was in High School.

For those of you who shop iTunes for your music did you know that you can buy sound effects including race cars??? Search "sound effects" and there are albums and single clips with top fuel, and a variety of other racing tracks. I've bought a few and extended that to incude a P-51 Mustang ( the ultimate hot rod). When you set your iPod to shuffle and randomly play music you'll get a quick blast every once in a while from an engine at full bore.

So, wait ... is that a remake of it, helfen ... or, am I misunderstanding?

"Keep this feelin' alive" __ Eric Carmen __ 'Make Me Lose Control'

Have no idea, just looked it up on google and that's what came up.

The one I have was definitely the 60s, 63 would be about right since I bought my copy when I was in High School.

...which was just a few short years ago, correct? ;)

Have no idea, just looked it up on google and that's what came up.

Ah, OK ... no worries. I thought maybe you knew.

"Can't help but think of yesterday" __ George Michael __ 'Faith'