Exhaust gaskets

tenugent

Having a hard time fixing exhaust leak,anybody know why gaskets cant be used(russ martin says manifold will break).Just wondering how others have fixed this problem.After rebuild head wasn't plained so shouldn't manifold match up.Thanks T.N. roa 12969...

Having a hard time fixing exhaust leak,anybody know why gaskets cant be used(russ martin says manifold will break).Just wondering how others have fixed this problem.After rebuild head wasn't plained so shouldn't manifold match up.Thanks T.N. roa 12969...

I have used gaskets when I did not want to completely remove the manifold for machining or there was not enough good material on the manifold to make machining worth while. I have never experienced a problem doing so.

I suspect the thinking is multi tiered ....some say the manifold acts as a heat sink, especially because it is located on the exhaust side of the head and the installation of gaskets will not enable the manifold to draw heat away from the head. I have never seen any data relative to head temps with and without manifolds installed but it makes technical sense to me...but the real question is, does it make an appreciable, real world difference in performance or longevity?

Also of consideration is the possibility mounting and tightening each of the exhaust manifold logs independently against a "soft surface" like a gasket might prompt the twisting of the manifold and result in breakage. But I`ve seen quite a few non-gasketed manifolds break (in other applications) so I am not necessarily convinced this is an issue.

Tim, be sure you do not have a cracked manifold. Best to remove it from the engine a closely examine it. At that point machining seems the obvious solutiuon. A friend, Ray Pecor, has just reproduced the exhaust manifold locks in stainless so this may be a good opportunity to do a thorough job and dress things up simultaneously. Good luck,

Tom

A friend, Ray Pecor, has just reproduced the exhaust manifold locks in stainless so this may be a good opportunity to do a thorough job and dress things up simultaneously. Good luck, Tom

Tom,

How do we get in touch with Ray regarding the locks. When I took the manifolds off my '64 last month, the locks on all but one of the ports were the kind that are looped together. The other locks were just a couple of tabs. Is one kind correct or the other incorrect?

Thanks,

Ed

Tom,

How do we get in touch with Ray regarding the locks. When I took the manifolds off my '64 last month, the locks on all but one of the ports were the kind that are looped together. The other locks were just a couple of tabs. Is one kind correct or the other incorrect?

Thanks,

Ed

One way would be to message him through his thread on V8Buick. There seems to be alot of interest for these.

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?292893-SS-French-Locks-(exhaust-keepers)-for-Nailheads-any-interest

I have locks on my '64 Riviera and they have been fine since I put the engine back in during the mid 1990's. The "60 Electra doesn't have the locks. I remember tightening the right side maybe 6 or 7 years ago. No gaskets and both are silent.

Bernie

One way would be to message him through his thread on V8Buick. There seems to be alot of interest for these.

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?292893-SS-French-Locks-(exhaust-keepers)-for-Nailheads-any-interest

Thanks for the link. I have the six loop kind for the ports with the short bolts; I just need two of the ones that fit the longer bolts. Or, did those two ports use the small tab kind? I took them off as well as the looped ones. Did Buick use two different kinds.

Thinking that I was just missing two of the loop style, I ordered a couple from CARS. They're shown for earlier years but all nailheads apparently have the same distance between the bolts for each port.

Ed