1988 Reatta dead battery start

Guest tattooed6

Guest tattooed6

Hi all, I have been looking around for the last week. I am going to look at a 1988 Reatta tomorrow with 130,000 miles on it. The guy says it has a battery in it, but it's dead. I have been reading and it seems like I don't want to put a charger on it to start it or jump it as it could mess with the computers. Is there something I should or shouldn't do. Or should I just buy a new battery and take it with me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it. He says it ran a little rough when he parked it last summer and may need some plug wires or a full tune up. I guess what I'm asking is what kinds of stuff should I be on the lookout for. Thanks a bunch guys.

Guest Corvanti

others may differ, but i never had a problem with either jumper cables or a charger on my Reatta to get her started. i'd probably at least take a wrench and a wire brush, etc. to make sure the battery cables are cleaned & then well tightened before trying a jump.

if you do purchase her, there are several grounds that may need cleaning and the info is available by just asking here on the forum. also, if the Reatta has been sitting for any length of time over winter, it's not "that" unusual" for the battery to drain.

i'd at least try that before spending the $$$ on a new battery - which may very well be needed.

just my $0.02:)...

oh, and welcome to the forum!

I agree with Corvanti. I have never had a problem and we use them in the shop all the time and our shop isn't the only one. The only issue is it puts excess stress on the alternator.

R3D,

Just make sure that the ignition key on the car being jumped (the one with the dead battery) is in the OFF position. Better yet, put the key in your pocket until ready to start the car. Alternately, remove or just disconnect the battery and charge it with a charger then replace or reconnect the battery. Do this also with the key in the OFF position or in your pocket.

John F.