Side trim strips

harry yarnell

Steve is correct as far as he goes. The rear fender piece also clips on. It can (usually) be slid forward slightly and then removed from the body pegs with the clips still attached. The front fender piece has two acorn nuts holding metal studs through the body. Will need to remove the rearward plastic splash guard in the front wheel well to access properly.

You might get at it with the door open at just the right angle and the right type of tool, but is no fun at all to do that way. Much coarse language (60 grit) will be uttered if trying this approach. Yes, I've tried it and it turned the pin stripe on my car into a blue streak. Probably scandalized the neighbors dog too.

Reinstalling is easier to do by installing the clips to the body first then snapping the molding over it, bottom edge first. Use palm of hand to persuade the top edge to snap over the detent on each clip.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Guest PontiacDude210
Good instructions for removing the side trim moldings. I've added that information to ROJ. I would like to add instructions for removing the rubber molding trim on the bumpers too. If anyone could supply that information it would be appreciated.

Ronnie, the rubber moulding on the bumper is pretty easy. You just have to remove the bumpers from the shock absorbers, I believe 14mm X4 bolts. Then there are many small 12 or 13 mm nuts on plastic studs that must be removed from the inside of the bumper. You can get all of them without removing the mounts, but you have to get creative. Once all of those are out, the trim comes off the bumper. But the clear coat on the color keyed trim will split if you don't remove it very carefully. The valence is really simple from that point too, but I've found 2 different kinds of fasteners on those on my 90s. Either way, it's fastened on under the trim. I believe the front and rear bumper are the same, I've done both on my color keyed 90 recently.

Ronnie, the rubber moulding on the bumper is pretty easy. You just have to remove the bumpers from the shock absorbers, I believe 14mm X4 bolts. Then there are many small 12 or 13 mm nuts on plastic studs that must be removed from the inside of the bumper. You can get all of them without removing the mounts, but you have to get creative. Once all of those are out, the trim comes off the bumper. But the clear coat on the color keyed trim will split if you don't remove it very carefully. The valence is really simple from that point too, but I've found 2 different kinds of fasteners on those on my 90s. Either way, it's fastened on under the trim. I believe the front and rear bumper are the same, I've done both on my color keyed 90 recently.
Got that added to ROJ. Thanks!