Chrissy the Chrysler

Guest BUCKSTER

Guest BUCKSTER

I've just became the PROUD owner of a 1947 Chrysler New Yorker four door sedan builder.It has a locked up straight 8 spitfire flat head engine. I'm going to go 350/auto trans as my budget won't allow me to rebuild the straight 8. Is the straight 8 and fluid-drive transmission which works, have any value if so what can I get for it. Thanks for reading, The BUCKSTER

If you can't afford to rebuild the straight 8 I would suggest selling the car because you are just destroying it by dropping in a chevy drivetrain.

I could not agree more. It would probably cost the same amount to keep the straight 8 and fix it with the original drive train.

You drive yours- I'll drive mine. Different strokes- You know the rest.

Not the correct attitude if you want help here. We are just trying to save you money and heartache. When you realize that after altering the car with a belly button 350 you have spent waaaaaaay too much money on it and are not done with it, the car will have been chopped up and nobody would be PROUD to own it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Please send a picture of the Chevy, hate to loose one that runs good.

I'd feel real bad if my Chevy was parted out to save an old car with a set up engine.

Makes me think of driving past a sign advertising a pig roast fund raiser for Ducks Unlimited, my rider said "Kill a pig, save a duck."

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

A locked up straight eight has very little value as you yourself admit. It might be worth something to a restorer but of course, he will not be able to use it until he spends $$$$ on rebuilding.

It might be worth $200 or so for parts.

On the other hand, if you could get it running and keep it in your car you could save a lot of money. I don't know if you have done these kind of swaps before but chances are, it will cost about the same to have a brand new, rebuilt straight eight in there as to put in a worn out, second hand Chev V8. And you won't be ruining the value of the car by doing it.

Guest Skyking
Interesting, how would someone figure the fluid drive works if the engine is locked up?

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read his post this morning.

The poster can't afford a rebuild but he can afford a complete swap. Maybe he thinks the 350 will bolt right in.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read his post this morning.

The poster can't afford a rebuild but he can afford a complete swap. Maybe he thinks the 350 will bolt right in.

Kinda what I was getting at.

Rebuilding engines is not that expensive. The usual guess of $1000 for each cylinder is a worst case scenario where you have a rusty lump that has been sitting outside with no plugs for years. The complete rebuild of the Chrysler Flathead six for my speedster has only cost me around $3K NZD and that includes an overbore and new pistons. as long as it is not rusty in the crank case all you'll need is crankshaft and con-rod bearings, valve job, new piston rings and if the bore is too worn add pistons and an overbore to the list. Chances are rebuilding the original motor will be cheaper and easier than a V8 swap.

Unfortunately it is frowned upon to hot-rod a salvageable original car, even if it is just the drive train.

Edited by Carsnz123 (see edit history)

Guest BUCKSTER

Boy! Nothing like getting a ton of hate mail on a guys first post. I agree, their's nothing like an original original. I would love tooling down the road with the old flathead purring. This is my first old car rebuild (like you can't tell) so lets start over what do you say? I bought the car, couldn't open the hood,head was layingin in the back seat and the valves were in the trunk, but she was so beautiful I had to have her. So I got the hood opened pistons are froze,rust in the cylinder walls,so were do we start. By the way the old farmer said the transmission worked so if you can't trust an old farmer who can you trust. Right.

Buckster,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. As you have learned, this is a forum about Restoration and Preservation of antique cars. This is not forum about modifying cars. If you want to restore the car I suspect you will find people here who are able to give you advice about how to do that. If you still think you want to modify it, you will probably find advice relating to modifying cars on another site. I hope you are able to get it back on the road soon and there are folks here who can certainly give you good advice to help you do that.

post-39071-14314304837_thumb.jpg

Big Lucy says to let her sister alone. Locked up frozen straight eight, I waited, next thing a machine shop advertises an abandoned (at their shop) a rebuilt 47 straight 8 for $1,700 dollars a gasket set was about $300.

The H.A.M.B. is the place for modified vehicles.

Good luck,

Jay

post-39071-143143048347_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143143048355_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143143048363_thumb.jpg

Buckster,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. As you have learned, this is a forum about Restoration and Preservation of antique cars. This is not forum about modifying cars. If you want to restore the car I suspect you will find people here who are able to give you advice about how to do that. If you still think you want to modify it, you will probably find advice relating to modifying cars on another site. I hope you are able to get it back on the road soon and there are folks here who can certainly give you good advice to help you do that.

thanks for cleaning this up:)

informative PM sent

Edited by mitch h (see edit history)

Guest BUCKSTER

Thank you for your note. I do want to bring her back to original and being an avid auction goer I know if your looking for something sooner or later it will show up sooner or later. So on with the HUNT! Thanks, The BUCKSTER

Guest BUCKSTER

I just figured out how to post a thread. How to post a picture is next,and as soon as I do I will be posting pictures of her. Thanks for the welcome, The BUCKSTER

Hey Buckster, As stated here, you will find that these guys will do everything they can to help a guy to keep an original car original.

Me? I go both ways, I love to drive a car that I personally engineered and built. These guys are correct in telling you that keeping it original is less expensive in the long run.

That said, I like to keep my eyes open for a car that someone else has already made the mistake and maybe run with that.

Personally I do not care for Chevrolet small blocks, even though this is what I run in my race car these days.

I tend to look for Mopars, and if it is not in my opinion worth the salvage to original I will put a Mopar engine in there and have some fun. There are lots of engines and tranny choices available and the SBCs seem to be everybody's choice. The only reason I can see for that is because everyone wants to be different just like everybody else. I feel that a Mopar should be powered by a Mopar. Now if you had a Hudson or a Studebaker, well I would put a hemi in there as well. But that's just me. LOL

Another thing to consider is what will become of it in the future. Personalized cars don't sell very well.

As long as you are having fun, that's the bottom line.

Those flat head 8 Chrysler engines were also sold for industrial units. I know where a few are in old power shovels. It would be another avenue to search for a motor, or parts. Dandy Dave!

I just figured out how to post a thread. How to post a picture is next,and as soon as I do I will be posting pictures of her. Thanks for the welcome, The BUCKSTER

If you need pictures posted, just send them to me and I will be happy post them for you.

As for your earlier comment

"Boy! Nothing like getting a ton of hate mail on a guys first post. I agree, their's nothing like an original original. I would love tooling down the road with the old flathead purring. This is my first old car rebuild (like you can't tell) so lets start over what do you say? I bought the car, couldn't open the hood,head was layingin in the back seat and the valves were in the trunk, but she was so beautiful I had to have her. So I got the hood opened pistons are froze,rust in the cylinder walls,so were do we start. By the way the old farmer said the transmission worked so if you can't trust an old farmer who can you trust. Right. "

This is not hate mail. You are reviewing your current situation with an audience that has centuries of experience working on cars/ trucks / and about every type of vehicle. We WANT YOU TO SUCCEED and enjoy your car in the least cost method. There is nothing like driving a vehicle just like the day it was made. Once the opportunity to experience that is taken away by modifications it is tough to ever get it back. Many of us have been down the road of engine swaps from one manufacturer into another and the issues go on and on and on and on. Besides engine swaps, your might want to take some time to read on changing from an 6 volt system to a 12 volt system. There are a number of threads on that topic that you can search for. It is not as easy as just changing the battery and generator. When these type of changes occurr, the gremlins come out of no where and will keep you and your wallet busy. Most of the active persons that answer and comment on inquiries really know their stuff. If the person has over a couple hundred postings, they are usually very credible and if they have over 1,000 have seen just about every situation on a vehicle. The depth of knowledge of the posters on this forum continues to amaze even me and I have been working on cars & trucks for over 50 years. :)

The poster just above me is a friend and REALLY KNOWS HIS STUFF! Go Dandy Dave.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Aaww Shucks Larry, :o I've been wrenching on stuff over 40 years and I'm still learning new stuff all the time. I've made an OK living at it so I must be doing something right most of the time. Dandy Dave!

Aaww Shucks Larry, :o I've been wrenching on stuff over 40 years and I'm still learning new stuff all the time. I've made an OK living at it so I must be doing something right most of the time. Dandy Dave!

Larry, we all know why Dave chose such a tough career. See, we've all seen Dave in a speedo and just knew he'd never make it as a "male model"!

"My Eyes, My Eyes!!!!" :eek::cool:

Larry, we all know why Dave chose such a tough career. See, we've all seen Dave in a speedo and just knew he'd never make it as a "male model"!

"My Eyes, My Eyes!!!!" :eek::cool:

LOL.. I'm going to try my hand at comedy when I grow up Wayne. Dandy Dave!

The Chrysler 323 eights were also called the "Royal" engine and were found in marine applications. A very smooth and quiet engine.

I have several 1946-50 Chryslers with the straight eight in them. When idling smoothly I have balanced a nickel on edge on top of the head.

Guest BUCKSTER

Thank you for post. I agree with everthing you've said and looking forward to learning from all you guys. As far as the pictures, after you write your message how do you add your pics to it or how do I send them to you. Thanks again, The BUCKSTER

Guest BUCKSTER

Just wanted to Thank you for all your support and I'm looking forward to learning alot from you. Thanks again, The BUCKSTER

Guest BUCKSTER

Sorry it took me awhile to get backto you, still up in the air about what i'm going to do. I will give you first crack at it and i'm sure we can work something out. Any suggestions?

If you decide on an engine swap there are beaucoups of Mopar engine and trans combos that will be way better suited than the bellybutton SBC. A hotrodded Slant Six even comes to mind to push that big heavy Chrysler down the road.

Larry and Dandy Dave bring up lots of good points about swaps. The driveline is just the beginning...

If the original engine is really too far gone to rebuild for a reasonable amount of money, then an engine swap makes sense. BUT you will have to swap out engine, trans and rear axle, convert to 12 volts, and replace other things like radiator, that seems to be already gone. Also the driveshaft.

Best choice would be a Dodge or Chrysler 318 or 360. Or a Chev 350. In each case with a matching transmission. What rear axle I don't know, you will have to measure the width and get one as close as possible in width. No doubt the spring perches will need to be changed to fit the springs.

One of the problems is the engine compartment was made for a narrow straight eight and the V8 engine hits the steering box. This can be overcome by offsetting the engine an inch or 2 to the right or in your case, you may be able to move it forward for clearance.

If you can buy a wrecked car or pickup truck cheap, that has a suitable drive train and doesn't cost too much, that is the cheapest way to get everything you need.

Of course everything made in the last 20 years has fuel injection and electronic engine controls so that is another can of worms. So figure on buying a suitable wiring harness and rewiring the car. Or buying an intake manifold, carburetor, and distributor and changing to an obsolete system.