Chrissy the Chrysler

Guest BUCKSTER

Guest BUCKSTER

First thank you Keiser31 for posting my pics. I pretty sure their window shades. They have a fulton shade stamped on them. I just don't know if it is a factory item or an aftermarket item from back then. Haven,t seen any. They seem to be painted the same color as the car. I about died when I saw the windsheild washer jar.I've only had her a couple of weeks so give me a little time. Thanks, The BUCKSTER

Looks like you have your work cut out for you no matter what you do. No inner fenders either. Upholstery is totally shot. Looks like the rockers are rusted completely away. Might be better to look for anther one in better shape and use this one for parts. Dandy Dave!

Looking closer, I bet she was in a wreck at one time as the nose colors do not match the body colors from the cowl forward. Glad to see that you saved it. The only thing I can guarantee is that you will spend way more fixing that car than it will ever be worth. Dandy Dave!

The only thing I can guarantee is that you will spend way more fixing that car than it will ever be worth. Dandy Dave!

Dandy Dave is absolutely correct in that statement; however, in the old/classic car hobby, it's the journey, not the destination that's important. Working on an old car and bringing it back to life is personally, if not financially, rewarding. It's a great hobby, and is not something that couch potatoes would appreciate.

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy,

Grog

My Chrysler Miss Serephina has a pretty engine....

Even yours can look the same. Just some money and time. These eights are so smooth and have lots of torque.

A slant six would not do too well in a car this heavy though.

post-62228-143143050139_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143143050148_thumb.jpg

Guest BUCKSTER

Capngrog hit the nail right on the head. I'm not doing this to make a buck, I'm doing this for me and to not be a couch potatoe. I know the pics look bad but why let her get any worse. She is worth saving to me. I know I'll never get my money back out of her, but you cant put a price on years of fun and enjoyment. Look how much fun all you guys have, would you trade it for money and a couch. I doubt it. I look forward to all your post and suggestion so keep them coming Thanks, The BUCKSTER

1947 Chrysler New Yorker weighs about 4000 pounds. Original engine 323cu in 135HP. 2015 Chrysler 300, 3.6L V6 292HP, 4100 pounds.

Mid 90s Dodge pickup 318 - 230HP 360 - 245HP

Chrysler 300, 2005 - 2010 - 5.7 V8 - 340HP 6.1 V8 - 425HP

I give this purely for information. I think the 318 would work well in that car, the 360 would be better, the 5.7 or 6.1 might be overkill but would be great if you upgraded the brakes and suspension to match.

Because of the sheer difference in dimensions of a V8 over the original straight 8 engine you may have to swap out the steering system as well. I think the column and box will be in the way for a V8 engine. Something to consider. I can't think of any torquey straight motors made in the last 20 years without putting a Cummins Diesel in it. That would be an intersting conversion though. Another straight 8 is obviously the easiest swap. You might find a rodder looking to hack up a good car who has one they are about ready to scrap.

I just stood up and took this picture of the bookshelf over my monitor:

post-46237-143143050206_thumb.jpg Those three orange books are from a five book set my Mother helped me buy in 1959. Your car was 11 years old then, and so was I. There are hours of fascinating reading in them. Imagine one of those or something similar next to your easy chair.

I fully agree with the idea of owning a project car for the sheer mental health value. It costs very little to enjoy the privileges of ownership. Leaning back and dreaming about the first drive, the next small subcomponent to refurbish, the marketing history, or you next new learned skill, like upholstery if you don't contract some disease from removing the old stuff, has great value in itself. I have always had a monumental project in my garage and I have felt uneasy as soon as I sold one. Over the years I have learned to balance my efforts between mechanical and cosmetic jobs. That maintains the value of the project if you really do have to bail out. Appearance is the only real value one can get from an old car. It is fun and if it never gets finished, you enjoyed the trip.

It is kind of like planning trips and never going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xciWwGcBXgI

And you never know, you may have saved a Chevy donor car for future restoration.

Bernie

Just an opinion: assuming this is your first project, I'd go the "find another Chrysler engine". It will be the fastest, easiest way to get your vehicle running again. The longer you try to work around a project of "another brand engine, transmission, gearbox issues, or even a Camaro front clip weld on, you may end up losing interest, and everything comes to a screeching halt. I've seen and heard of this happening way too many times.

Wayne

Wayne is speaking the truth.

Most of these hot rods that I build are abandoned projects.

I am retired and spend about 40 hours a week in my shop. I have built several cars since I retired and now its a full time job maintaining them along with the house, yard, animals, kids, grandkids, neighbors cars, neighbors lawn mowers, yada yada yada.

One bonus in having the collection is cruising with the family in the cars that I built and they will inherit.

I also agree that to do this car right (I am in the middle of the same car right now) you will need to change at least the front suspension including brakes. The steering box will be in the way.

Look familiar?

post-52542-14314305035_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143143050353_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143143050355_thumb.jpg

........I also agree that to do this car right (I am in the middle of the same car right now) you will need to change at least the front suspension including brakes. The steering box will be in the way.

Look familiar?

Jack, that's why I mentioned the front clip, pretty easy and fast, but at this point original is out the window. I've had the front clip deal, but attending AACA events is pretty much a done deal by then, unless you just want to be the "parking lot hero"? :)

Capngrog hit the nail right on the head. I'm not doing this to make a buck, I'm doing this for me and to not be a couch potatoe. I know the pics look bad but why let her get any worse. She is worth saving to me. I know I'll never get my money back out of her, but you cant put a price on years of fun and enjoyment. Look how much fun all you guys have, would you trade it for money and a couch. I doubt it. I look forward to all your post and suggestion so keep them coming Thanks, The BUCKSTER

Bravo brother!!! I applaud you! It is for you. Like mine...I don't care what it is worth dollar-wise after restoring. For me, it is priceless. It is obvious you are smitten with this Chrysler and understandably. These are nice looking cars. Even if you polish one nut or bolt per week it is something other than working, eating and sleeping.

With that said, I would attempt to find a running engine and swap it out. As a last resort replace the engine with a V8. But use a V8 from a Chrysler product. Get a rebuilt 318 off the shelf at your locale auto parts store.

My brother had a 1947 New Yorker that he put a 1969 383 / 727 put into it. The problems were the motor / tranny mounts and exhaust manifolds. The good was the drive shaft was the correct length and the yoke from the "69 rear U joint fit on the "47 rear end.

Guest BUCKSTER

Alright gentlemen here's my game plan my second game plan of what I think I will do . I will pull the straight eight out take it up and get some estimates on getting it rebuilt in the meantime I will be looking for a straight eight to replace it because I am all about easy and I know what you're saying about the swap if that doesn't work out I will be looking for a Mopar V-8 engine to put into Chrissy. MOPAR STICKS WITH MOPAR. I GOT IT. THANKS THE BUCKSTER

A good plan is to identify all the engine and directly related parts as "Engine Swamp" not swap. Focus on them. Consider everything else as alligators. Don't poke, probe, or touch them, even if they look dead.

In a week the car can be stripped down to the bare frame at no cost. It can bite you.

Bernie

Guest BUCKSTER

Gentleman; Not to change the subject of my drivetrain (please please please) . Where do I get the material to cut New door panels and such. Next should I take the old material off the seat frames, and those front end rebuild kits like kanter sells what I need and how easy would it be to do. Thanks, The BUCKSTER

Maaate !!! If you have to go to all this trouble with drive trains, door skins, rust repairs, body jewelry, upholstery etc etc etc, it is not worth it,sorry to be blunt but the car is not rare enough to invest all that money in restoration. If you disagree then I will take my hat off to you for being so brave.

With that said. I wish I had the 49 Desoto still in the yard that I put on eBay a few years ago because it would have been just the ticket for Buckster to get in an old car. The thing ran well but all the chrome and trim was missing. Only brought $100. And a young fellow took it that was going to do something cool with it. This was before the price of scrap went sky high and whole cars were only going for 40 Dollars at the recyclers yard. About half the body work was done also. An old buddy of mine that suffered with cancer gave it to me because he knew I would not scrap it. I think that is what you need to look for. A "Parts Car" is often in better shape than the one you already have. And it may take a few of them to make a good car. If it were mine, and I was dead determined to have one up and running, this would be the path I would take. Look around. They are out there. And you can save a ton of money from trying to piece all the stuff together that is missing and really bad. About 30 years ago I had a 1946 Chrysler High Lander. Bought that one from a buddy for $30. The head was missing and it had a hole in one piston. That would have been another parts car that would have been even more right that the Desoto. Your Best avenue is to start searching. Dandy Dave!

I would have to agree with Dandy Dave. I would sit down and think what you want out of the end product now that you are talking interior work for a non running car. Do you want shiny paint and sparkling chrome with a really nice interior? Or do you want just an old car with patina, including pitted chrome some surface rust etc. to drive around in. If the first is what you want your end result to be, then I would look for another car, maybe even a Chrysler Just like this that you can use this one for parts on. Chrome plating is astronomical and the NOS supply for your Chrysler is getting pretty thin. Paint work is a fortune as well.

If sparkling cosmetics are not important then it's not as big a deal.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Alright gentlemen here's my game plan my second game plan of what I think I will do . I will pull the straight eight out take it up and get some estimates on getting it rebuilt in the meantime I will be looking for a straight eight to replace it because I am all about easy and I know what you're saying about the swap if that doesn't work out I will be looking for a Mopar V-8 engine to put into Chrissy. MOPAR STICKS WITH MOPAR. I GOT IT. THANKS THE BUCKSTER

Encouragement; years ago I bought a Model T engine that was burried as a door step for 5 bucks, burried in the late 1930s. I soaked it in a barrel with diesel fuel, story short

cleaned honed it and stuck it in a 26 Ford and drove off in the sunset. Then I have a neightbor with a 8 cyl Imperial sweet sweet and that has fluid drive. Do you know the

fluid drive has a low? found that out with the ole mans new 51 DeSoto =put it in second and floor it , it now kicks into first yes it will do a burn outs. However that stunt cost

me a strapping. If you were closer, Id bet 100 bucks we will get you going as long as there are no blown out freeze cracks and not for billions of dollars. We cater for these

to preserve for affordable, dont worry we we make up the difference on the newer (junk) Your case I see a good cleaning, valve job, rings new rod & mains. Why did someone

take the head off and give up? That I need to know. My guess was a burnt valve, then they gave up; which its freshman 101 in high school. What I'm seeing in your pics, I say

around 8-900 dollars, run in and tested ....Then after the car moves, then panels one a time, dont go to deep, one step at a time while driving it.

sam

we strickly use USA parts

....Then after the car moves, then panels one a time, dont go too deep, one step at a time while driving it.

sam

This is the most important comment in this whole thread. Get it running first, and the fastest easiest way. Then drive it as you think about what you want to do next.

There are pages and pages of for sale ads for projects that folks lost interest in because they could not drive them, rough or not, and just lost interest in the vehicle!

Guest BUCKSTER

First of all Chrissy is not a parts car . She has got every piece of chrome and stainless except for one little 8 inch piece . The body is straight there's absolutely no dings no dent no rust holes . So what if I have to do the interior 80% of the cars out there that you buy you have to redo the interior , the seats the door panels headliner the carpet . Just because Chrissys looks a little more torn up doesn't make it a parts car . It has a little rocker panel problem who hasn't had rocker panel problems before what do you do you fix it. Just because she needs another engine or the engine doesn't work doesn't mean she's a parts car sorry . I hear what you guys are saying about finding a better car but this is what I have to work with and I'm gonna work with it . Yes there are some better builders out there , but what happens when we run out of those were gonna be working on parts cars to bring them back and when were out of parts cars were going to be going in the junkyard and try to rebuild what's left there. I'm not trying to jump all over my car and try doing 34 different things at a time . I'm just trying to get some other questions of mine answered. Trust me getting the drivetrain straightened out is my first priority. There's nothing the matter with doing other research while I'm fixing my drivetrain . I've gotten a lot of good advice from a lot of you and I do take it to heart and I am listening to you, but there's a few with their little digs , wisecracks , double meaning sentences I used to do that in grade school. I'm not going to have my drivetrain figured out and I'm month probably not even a year but I am going to try to bring her back as original as I can, that's why I'm here at this forum. Thanks the BUCKSTER

First of all Chrissy is not a parts car . She has got every piece of chrome and stainless except for one little 8 inch piece . The body is straight there's absolutely no dings no dent no rust holes . So what if I have to do the interior 80% of the cars out there that you buy you have to redo the interior , the seats the door panels headliner the carpet . Just because Chrissys looks a little more torn up doesn't make it a parts car . It has a little rocker panel problem who hasn't had rocker panel problems before what do you do you fix it. Just because she needs another engine or the engine doesn't work doesn't mean she's a parts car sorry . I hear what you guys are saying about finding a better car but this is what I have to work with and I'm gonna work with it . Yes there are some better builders out there , but what happens when we run out of those were gonna be working on parts cars to bring them back and when were out of parts cars were going to be going in the junkyard and try to rebuild what's left there. I'm not trying to jump all over my car and try doing 34 different things at a time . I'm just trying to get some other questions of mine answered. Trust me getting the drivetrain straightened out is my first priority. There's nothing the matter with doing other research while I'm fixing my drivetrain . I've gotten a lot of good advice from a lot of you and I do take it to heart and I am listening to you, but there's a few with their little digs , wisecracks , double meaning sentences I used to do that in grade school. I'm not going to have my drivetrain figured out and I'm month probably not even a year but I am going to try to bring her back as original as I can, that's why I'm here at this forum. Thanks the BUCKSTER

Some are not getting it, Buckster. Simply put, this is the car you want to put your time and money into. When completed it does not matter what you get out of it other than the enjoyment of driving a vehicle you put back on the road with you own hands. It is not about the resale value. It is about the value of yourself and something to do with your time/energy. Some people spend hours planting annuals. These annuals die every fall. Yet, they continue to plant these annuals year after year. Money is no object. It is something they like to do. They value themselves for growing a great garden at their own hands.

Enjoy your project. I look forward to what your plan, execution and the day you drive your car!