1966 Riviera Door Panel has two handles to open door from inside

Guest hiyudon

Guest hiyudon

I came across a '66 rivi with an unusual door opener on the inside. There are two handles on the door. The normal location for the front passenger/driver and there is also one at the rear of the door for the people in the back to open the door without reaching to the forward handle. I've never seen this and have asked a couple of friends on this. They've never heard of this either.

If anyone knows, is it possible to take this inside panel from this car and install it in my conventional Rivi, or do I have to install the complete door?

Thank you in advance as always.

This feature is also on the first-generation (63-65) Riv. On my '63, I'm pretty sure this feature was part of the up-level interior but I'll defer to the experts on this forum. And typically, the rear "paddles" or release handles need to exercised up and down because the grease can harden with age and lack of use. Sometimes they will have to be cleaned and re-greased. It's always struck me as a strange feature, because the Riv, at least when introduced, was marketed as a "personal luxury coupe" for four "more mature" adults, and directly against the Thunderbird of the day. But I can't remember that last time my wife and I forgot that another couple was sitting in the back seat when we exited the car to go to dinner!

Changing a standard to a deluxe interior with the two door handles was one of the first changes I ever made to my first 67 Riviera way back in 1978! Besides the door panel, you'll need to get the rear latch mechanism, its mounting bolts and linkage rod,clips and other than that its a fairly easy swap assuming both cars have same window driver. I also think the two hooks on top of the interior door frame that the door panel hangs are different so you will need those too. I believe there are a couple other bolt on brackets specific to the deluxe door panel you will need. Probably have to drill 3 holes for the large sheet metal screws that go down through the back of arm rest. You also have to take into account if both cars have power windows or both have manual windows. If currently no power and the deluxe panels have power you'll need to make provisions for the hand crank. If currently power and deluxe is no power then you'd have a hole where the hand crank was after installing.

As long as the assembly is coming off a 66 and going on a 66 and there are no conflicts with power vs non power you'll be OK. It gets more complicated if making the switch between 66 and 67 because the lock knob is in a different location.

The rear quarter interior panels are different too on the deluxe interior so you will want to get those to match.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I took my wife out on our first date in my 1966 Riviera in 1974. We went to a restaurant named The Dickens, she was and English major. She was impressed by the name. The special on Saturday nights was a roast beef dinner for $4.25. She was impressed by a date who was a big spender. It was dark when we left and she was impressed to see the headlights cascade down the side of the building by the parking lot. We went to a country music bar and she was impressed when the band welcomed me from the stage. Much later she was REALLY impressed with the rear door handles on the Riviera and the ease of getting out of the back seat of a two door car.

Its just been one impressive moment after another for 40 years.

I think the door handles cinched it.

Bernie

I came across a '66 rivi with an unusual door opener on the inside. There are two handles on the door. The normal location for the front passenger/driver and there is also one at the rear of the door for the people in the back to open the door without reaching to the forward handle. I've never seen this and have asked a couple of friends on this. They've never heard of this either.

If anyone knows, is it possible to take this inside panel from this car and install it in my conventional Rivi, or do I have to install the complete door?

Thank you in advance as always.

The twin door handles were offered on the first generation Riviera and the second generation through the 67 model year and was standard with the deluxe interior option. The Toronado's had them for a while and the El Dorado's had them in the late 60's. I have never converted one though. On the first gen Riv, when the door lock button was pushed down in the lock position, it would also lock out the rear handle for safety reasons. Not sure about the second gen though.

Pat

As Jason has pointed out it can be done, as long as provision is made for the different hardware requirements.

It was probably just an additional design feature for the convenience of rear seat passengers that allowed them to open the large Riviera hardtop doors. The rear handle feature was not available on 2nd generation '68 and subsequent Rivieras which no doubt, reduced the Buick Motor Division production costs.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

I took my wife out on our first date in my 1966 Riviera in 1974. We went to a restaurant named The Dickens, she was and English major. She was impressed by the name. The special on Saturday nights was a roast beef dinner for $4.25. She was impressed by a date who was a big spender. It was dark when we left and she was impressed to see the headlights cascade down the side of the building by the parking lot. We went to a country music bar and she was impressed when the band welcomed me from the stage. Much later she was REALLY impressed with the rear door handles on the Riviera and the ease of getting out of the back seat of a two door car.

Its just been one impressive moment after another for 40 years.

I think the door handles cinched it.

Bernie

Thanks! Now the rear handles totally make sense to me. My '69 Riv didn't have them, so back in the day, I had to resort to using my Pontiac Safari wagon for serious dates.:o