1929 Buick Drag Link Adjustment

raydurr

Hello I am working on my 29-41. I have recently cleaned and inspected the tie rod and drag link ball/socket components. All appear to ready for more miles. Now, I would like to hear the professional procedure for adjustment of the ball seat tension. I have so far tightened them down all the way , then lined up the cotter pin . What now? Thanks

I have shop manuals for Pontiacs 26-34 and Chev trucks from 47-54 and none of them even mention the ball socket components. I grease mine at every oil change 3,000 miles or three months approximately. Every second year I disassemble clean and reassemble them. I have the proper bladed socket to tighten the cap. I tighten it to tight by hand (no play) and then tighten it further to the next time the cotter pin lines up. I was told to do it this way by a front end mechanic when I worked in a GM Dealership in 1960. This may or may not be correct but my cups lasted in my daily driver until a couple of years ago. At 499,000 miles I had to replace them and thanks to an old dealership and Dwight Romberger I was able to locate a complete set.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

See, that's why you buy a Buick. Not only are they great automobiles, better than their cheaper sisters but their books have more information. Even though I was wrong with my adjustments I appreciate seeing the correct information. Sometimes I wonder how we got along with so many people using/giving improper information. Maybe we would have many more collectable cars around if they had been looked after properly.