Fan belts, 1917 Maxwell

mrcvs

I have had this perpetual problem with the fan belts, which are leather, stretching to the point where the fan blade hits the radiator intake, which, I thought, is 'okay', as a band surrounds the 6 blades. This was okay until November of 2012 when, for some reason, I threw a blade, presumably because of this. I did locate another original fan blade. I tried a synthetic fan belt, and this didn't really work, as it was shredded quite readily, plus it was expensive. I would like to stick to the leather and have one or two made by John Knox left. Does anyone else have this problem, and what are you doing? Or, is it supposed to stretch and ride up against the radiator intake (this seems doubtful)??? In 2012, after 95 years of use, the original fan blades did seem fatigued, and I was aware of this. Somehow, when the blade was thrown, it only damaged the fan blade itself, which is now warped beyond repair. PM me if you have a fan blade you want to sell cheaply, as I would like to have another spare.

• 4 weeks later...