1949 Project Start Up

Guest johnnyo

Guest johnnyo

My 49 Roadmaster has been sitting since 1998. Rebuilt engine and trans, never started. How do I prepare this engine before starting it. There is no oil in the engine or transmission. Is it possible to produce oil pressure without running the engine? The oil pump looks to be internal. I spray Mystery oil through the plug holes every few years and it is in a heated garage. What type of oil should I use for both eng & trans. It has a new gas tank and wire harness. This is a low mileage, solid, no rust car. i thought of parting it out but that would be a crime, the car is to nice.

John

Assuming the engine will turn by hand then do so after you have filled the crankcase with the correct oil( I use 10W-40). At this time you can use the starter to turn the engine quickly and build oil pressure. Assure the coil wire is disconnected to prevent a starting the engine.

How was the engine stored during all those years since the rebuild? Was it bagged or sealed so that no dirt could get in? All openings completely sealed? If not I'd advise tearing it back down enough to flush out all the dust, dirt, and grit that may have gotten in, and re-assemble with assembly lube. I had a long-stored engine that was rebuilt before storage die a quick death due to grit that had somehow gotten in.

A method I've used to build up oil pressure prior to starting an engine is to first mark the position of the distributor relative to the engine block. Next remove the distributor. Then cut the handle off an old flat screw driver, chuck it in a drill and insert this into the distributor hole and engage the oil pump shaft. Then run the drill. Have someone watch the oil pressure gauge to see if the pressure builds up. This works most times, unless the pump has dried out and lost it's prime. if it has dried out, you may be able to force oil into the tube from the pump to the filter, which may help prime it. Good luck Jim