BLASTING WITH GROUND WALNUT SHELLS

Terry Wiegand

Is there anyone on here who has access to a media blasting cabinet that uses ground walnut shells? I am in need of having a brass fuel fitting cleaned up with walnut shells. My Dad used to clean up all of the gears and shafts for his John Deere tractor restorations with the walnut shells. Gear teeth looked almost like mirrors when he was done with them. The shells will leave the fittings looking almost like they have been polished when they are finished and this is what I want. I hope there is someone out there who can help me with this project.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I have a variety of media I use and walnut shells are one of them. They are great for soft substrates. I have even used them on wrapped wiring harnesses and rubber parts, copper, etc.

I switched to plastic media in place of walnut shells on steel, brass, and sometimes aluminum that does not have rust or aggressive corrosion. This media removes all surface contaminants leaving the metal surface undisturbed and in its original state.

Note walnut shells will not change or alter the surface finish of steel or brass in a typical blast cabinet application with normal pressures. If a part comes out polished looking, its because it was like that before going in and only needed surface contaminants cleaned off to expose it.

If you can find a local shop that does media blasting, they should have a variety of media including walnut shells and be able to do your part.....though if the goal is to make brass shiny like new, a secondary operation will be needed to "polish" it. Or that may be the best approach to start and you may not need it blasted. I'd have to see the part. I am not aware of a media for a blasting cabinet that will change the surface to make a polished appearance.