" TOPGEAR "

Agreed. It's over. While I admire the boss for saying that Jeremy gets fired for hitting someone just like an underling would, they've just killed the most profitable TV show in the universe. A lot of people just lost their jobs, and I suspect the guy doing the firing will be one of them. BBC just lost 40% of their profits.

I agree. Seems like I read it was one of the highest revenue producing shows for the BBC. I much preferred the British version over the American one. Wouldn't surprise me to see all three of the hosts wind up on a cable network doing nearly the same thing.

But we have almost 20 seasons to fall back on. I watch them on Netflix and even one I watched years ago seems new when I watch it again. I hope Captain Slow and Hammond stand behind Jeremy and walk away as soon as their contracts allow. I saw May interviewed a few days ago at his house. He said he was going inside to put his Ferrari on eBay, hahaha.

But we have almost 20 seasons to fall back on. I watch them on Netflix and even one I watched years ago seems new when I watch it again. I hope Captain Slow and Hammond stand behind Jeremy and walk away as soon as their contracts allow. I saw May interviewed a few days ago at his house. He said he was going inside to put his Ferrari on eBay, hahaha.

According to reports, they have left also.

In my book he is a massive *hole and I wouldn't watch anything he was in because it is bound to be a useless piece of sh*t.

It doesn't surprise me a bit that he got fired for acting like a giant twit, throwing his weight around and abusing the people who worked so hard to make him a success. I'm only surprised it didn't happen a long time ago.

He also doesn't seem to know anything about cars. He seems to judge them a) by cost (the most expensive car must automatically be the best, a cheap car cannot be worth anything but a sneer and if 2 cars cost the same, B) top speed (the faster the better).

What is he, 14 years old?

I did a quick Google search to find out what was going on and turned up a Wired article which included his test of the Reliant 3 wheel car. I remember that video, it was the last Top Gear I watched. This is the video that proved to me he knows nothing about cars and can only trash things he doesn't understand.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

On top of which, the BBC isn't a private corporation. Its owned by the government and funded by the annual television license fee that everyone who wants to watch TV has to pay. Thus, everyone in the UK with a television is contributing to his salary. The British criminal court system takes this sort of behavior very seriously, probably more so than American courts do with our nincompoop "celebrities". Apparently, the hypocrisy of keeping this nitwit on simply because he produces revenue doesn't bother many people. That is really shameful.

Another example of the rich and famous thinking they are above common rules of law and decency. It's a human failing on playgrounds, in religion, sports, entertainment, business, politics & government. I guess it's everywhere!

Jeremy will regroup and come out on another show with his pals..................

The show is tongue in cheek, so hating isn't the point Rusty.................................

although I get your point, because I can't stand watching wayne carini either.........................

Wow! It's just a TV show guys, chill out! I enjoyed it many times, but it can't be taken seriously as its just comedy, British style.

As far as Clarkson goes from what I read about the incident just lost his temper after a long drawn out day and got into it with the producer. He apologized for his stupid actions to guy, and they both seem to have put it behind them. Everyone else hasn't. Pity.

So... if that producer, or anyone else on the show had a long, trying day dealing with an arrogant, prima donna jerk and finally, because his dinner was late, punched the guy in the nose, do you suppose for a minute he'd still have his job? This isn't about cars. Its about civilized behavior and the apparent fact that the rules of civilized behavior don't apply equally and, sadly enough, there are plenty of people here who are prepared to excuse this sort of thing if they find it "entertaining." I've seen this show a few times in the UK and always changed the channel after ten minutes or so...

So... if that producer, or anyone else on the show had a long, trying day dealing with an arrogant, prima donna jerk and finally, because his dinner was late, punched the guy in the nose, do you suppose for a minute he'd still have his job? This isn't about cars. Its about civilized behavior and the apparent fact that the rules of civilized behavior don't apply equally and, sadly enough, there are plenty of people here who are prepared to excuse this sort of thing if they find it "entertaining." I've seen this show a few times in the UK and always changed the channel after ten minutes or so...

He was treated equally, he was FIRED! It's very apparent that you don't like the man or the show, so what would you have done to him? Public hanging?

You either get Top Gear or you don't. Most of the people I've turned on to it hate it until they've seen 4-5 episodes, then they become passionate fans--it's probably an acquired taste. None of it is intended to be serious. It is the most beautifully filmed car show (or any show, for that matter), it goes to exotic locations, and then does really stupid things with motorized vehicles. Their multi-part specials like the Borneo adventure or their motorcycle trip through Thailand are some of the best things ever put to film. James May driving a truck up the side of an erupting volcano is awesome. Trying to build a Caterham Super 7 in the garage in the same amount of time it took the Stig to drive from the Caterham factory to the set was howlingly funny. Turning a farm combine into a snowplow with a flamethrower on it was fantastic. Burning down a camper trailer, and the one next to it, was hysterical. Attending an Alfa-Romeo meet with clapped-out Alfas held together with duct tape and pulled in on a rope was brilliant.

And if you have not seen their trip through the southern US with "NASCAR sucks" and "Hillary for President" and "Country music is rubbish" painted on the sides of their vehicles, you have not lived.

Or you don't get it. Whatever.

You don't have to understand it. People howl with laughter at Monty Python, but I don't. However, I don't hate Michael Palin because of it, I just realize that some people find it funny while I don't and move on with my life. It harms me naught if they find humor in things I don't.

As I said earlier, firing Clarkson was the right choice and I applaud the decision to kill the golden goose to prove the point that nobody is above the rules. However, as a Top Gear fan, I can also be saddened that it is ending, because it really was the best show involving cars ever made. It won't teach you anything about cars, you won't learn how to spray paint or weld bodywork, but you'll laugh yourself silly and see some awesome cars running at their limits and watch the most amazing camera work and travel to some of the most spectacular places...

...in the world!

/goodnight, my friends, you will be missed

post-31138-143143044801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

You either get Top Gear or you don't. Most of the people I've turned on to it hate it until they've seen 4-5 episodes, then they become passionate fans--it's probably an acquired taste. None of it is intended to be serious. It is the most beautifully filmed car show (or any show, for that matter), it goes to exotic locations, and then does really stupid things with motorized vehicles. Their multi-part specials like the Borneo adventure or their motorcycle trip through Thailand are some of the best things ever put to film. James May driving a truck up the side of an erupting volcano is awesome. Trying to build a Caterham Super 7 in the garage in the same amount of time it took the Stig to drive from the Caterham factory to the set was howlingly funny. Turning a farm combine into a snowplow with a flamethrower on it was fantastic. Burning down a camper trailer, and the one next to it, was hysterical. Attending an Alfa-Romeo meet with clapped-out Alfas held together with duct tape and pulled in on a rope was brilliant.

And if you have not seen their trip through the southern US with "NASCAR sucks" and "Hillary for President" and "Country music is rubbish" painted on the sides of their vehicles, you have not lived.

Or you don't get it. Whatever.

You don't have to understand it. People howl with laughter at Monty Python, but I don't. However, I don't hate Michael Palin because of it, I just realize that some people find it funny while I don't and move on with my life. It harms me naught if they find humor in things I don't.

As I said earlier, firing Clarkson was the right choice and I applaud the decision to kill the golden goose to prove the point that nobody is above the rules. However, as a Top Gear fan, I can also be saddened that it is ending, because it really was the best show involving cars ever made. It won't teach you anything about cars, you won't learn how to spray paint or weld bodywork, but you'll laugh yourself silly and see some awesome cars running at their limits and watch the most amazing camera work and travel to some of the most spectacular places...

...in the world!

/goodnight, my friends, you will be missed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]302271[/ATTACH]

Well put, Thank you!

Thank you Mr. Matt Harwood. Well said, and I totally agree with all aspects. What kept me coming back was the camera and film work of outstanding level. Truly beautiful. I had on my bucket list to be an audience member at some point. Now... unfortunately, I have an open spot. Thanks to all for a great conversation here, I believe Hulu Plus has the older seasons that Netflix no longer has.

Chuck in Kansas

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flyer1

"reverse gear" Australia was even more woeful,in fact it was pathetic the way they mocked "us" ,and the American version was not much better?

Who cares,it was just a show,maybe he had it coming?...ran out out expensive cars to flog around a track,was a good laugh at times :)

What this situation has demonstrated is just how totally incompetent the BBC management is (and has been for years). JC is a loose cannon - he always has been - and as such needs to be managed properly. No one can condone Clarkson's behaviour but TOP GEAR was worth so much to the Corporation they should have managed their 'star' in such a way that the fracas would never have arisen in the first place.

Morally, the BBC may feel they have occupied the high ground having washed their hands of Clarkson and, presumably, they believe the consequent loss of earnings is a price worth paying; after all it's not their money so why should they worry? They never have before.... The flip side is that numerous independent TV companies will be beating a path to Clarkson's door with lucrative contracts and I for one would not be surprised to see May and Hammond joining him in an entertaining show with a motoring theme elsewhere; although they will have to be careful not to copy Top Gear. Clarkson sold his share in the programme a few years ago for about £8 million so I doubt he is bothered either way.

Personally, I think the Producer who was clobbered has missed a trick. If someone as rich as Jeremy Clarkson punched me in front of numerous witnesses; preferably on film, I would threaten them with legal action - knowing full well they would quickly settle out of court. ​A nice little earner!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/30f86223/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>