Recognized Classics?

Guest paughj1

Guest paughj1

Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a 1978 Chevrolet C10 Pickup. I have the vehicle registered in Arizona and want to register this year as a "Classic" but I was informed by the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) that the vehicle must be on a official list of classic vehicles. The email read, "The list must be issued by a recognized historical or classical car organization." There must be some organization that recognized this vehicle as a classic?

Please advise,

-Jim

The word "classic" is thrown around today to encompass almost any "old" care or truck. The Classic Car Club of America identifies "classic cars" to be automobiles built during the " Grand Classic Era" between 1919 - 1948. These automobiles are defined as fine or distinctive vehicles that were high priced at the time or manufactured in limited quantities. There are other factors such as design or performance advances, special custom bodies and features or that have historical or social value.

There were many makes of old cars and trucks and only a very few fall into the parameters of "Classic" and unfortunately your '78 Chevy truck does not fall into that description. In some states, however, vehicles older than 10 years and that are out of manufacture may be licensed as a "Classic" car. Of course, this varies from state. The accepted definition of an antique vehicle is one that is 25 years old or older so you may be able to register it as an antique or historical vehicle which may limit the amount of usage, but again , you would have to check with your state. By the way, I had a new '76 and '77 Chevy truck and loved them both and wouldn't mind having a '76 Chevy Sport truck.