Help registering a restored "totaled" 1989 mercedes sl560 coupe

Guest Mercedescoupe

Guest Mercedescoupe

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help. Recently moved from NY to Florida. I have a 1989 Mercedes SL560 coupe that I bought after it was "totaled" in 2008. Restored with the help of some friends and never had a problem registering in NY.

Just moved to Florida and they want proof that 51% of the car was restored (IE Receipts) before they will issue me a registration. Of course I no longer have any receipts since I didn't think I would need them.

I tried registering as a Kit car or classic and they have the same requirements....Any thoughts on how I can get this done?

You say you never had a problem registering it in NY - is the title a "Salvage" title ? I know that every state is slightly different as far as requirements are concerned, especially in regards to VIN numbers but if a car with a legal VIN number and a legal title isn't "portable" state to state perhaps SEMA or some other interested party should look into some sort of portability regulations.

Just my two cents

If you have your old New York registration receipts, as well as any old insurance cards, you can try bringing them along to Florida DMV and asking them why they won't register the car since New York clearly had no problem doing so. Maybe the DMV in Florida needed more proof that the car was indeed operational since many people have a title to a vehicle that they never registered.

Hi, perhaps it would be possible to get a written evaluation from an auto appraiser or similar service to verify the repair work in writing that was done to your 560SL Roadster in lieu of receipts? Here in Portland, OR there is actually an automotive forensics company that digs into cars for all sorts of legal reasons from accident injury to lemon law suits, that would be another, tho likely more costly, route. I also think you're better off just compiling as much info as others have suggested and going in another day to see what happens, as we all know success at the DMV can often come down to the mood of the individual working. Fail today, try a different branch or worker the next. Reminds me of a line from the 80's movie License to Drive, that I already know I cannot quote here, but the first line is, "God giveth, and the DMV taketh away."

Paperwork nightmares are one reason I consider 'salvage' titles as not worth having unless I was the one the car was salvaged on. Then I would keep photos of the damage and the repair until the car was sold, still have the damage photos from the 67 Barracuda that was rearended and totaled about 15 years ago while I was stopped at a stoplight.

What the DMV really wants is proof that the parts for the repair were not stolen and that the car is not the result of a VIN swap from the totaled car to a stolen car. Unfortunately both practices are common today so DMV's really make you jump through hoops to get titles across state lines or in different names.