1939 Trans. Problems

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I got an email from a fellow club member having trouble with the trans. on his '39. Here is his message:

Hi my name is Fred Fischbach #47662. I just picked up a '39 Special 41. The problem I'm having is the trans is locked in neutral. Looks like the centering cable pulled out too far. I need help adjusting it. Can you please give me some ideas on adjustment?

The only Buick I've owned thus far has had a Dynaflow so I can't really help Fred out. He asked me to post his question here for him as he is having surgery done on his hand and is having a hard time typing. He gave me permission to put his email on here as well but knowing the internet like I do I don't think that's a good idea. If anyone wants his email so you can talk to him directly, just PM me. Or, you can post here and I will relay your message to him. Thanks guys.

Looking down at the steering column under the hood (assuming it's a left hand drive car) you'll see where the cable is attached to an assembly. There is a small Allen head screw (5/32 maybe) that, when tightened, holds the cable. If loose the cable will just slide around and do nothing. Sounds like he needs to adjust and tighten it. The head is hard to see as it is partially hidden by the assembly. It points towards the car.