Brake Accumulator

Guest Bob Barrow

Guest Bob Barrow

I just purchased a used brake accumulator from a junkyard here in Florida. Car did not come in for no brakes, but engine issues. I bought it for a spare and was wondering after reading the service manual, do you have to bleed both front & rear brakes if you are just changing the accumulator, even though the brake system is working fine. My car currently takes about 7 stabs at brake pedal before red light comes on. I was just wondering if I could switch accumulator's just to test the just purchased part. Any info would be appreciated. Bob

I just purchased a used brake accumulator from a junkyard here in Florida. Car did not come in for no brakes, but engine issues. I bought it for a spare and was wondering after reading the service manual, do you have to bleed both front & rear brakes if you are just changing the accumulator, even though the brake system is working fine. My car currently takes about 7 stabs at brake pedal before red light comes on. I was just wondering if I could switch accumulator's just to test the just purchased part. Any info would be appreciated. Bob

If all you want to do is test the accumulator to see if it's better than the one you have, you don't need to bleed. BUT; you do need to depressurize before removing the accumulator and the front brakes are bled with the system depressurized so I would suggest that you think positive and bleed before you test.

Guest BobFitz

I think I would flush and bleed after all swapping is done to alleviate the possibility of water or contaminated fluid.

Bob