Value check: '53 Special 4dr STICK.

SBRMD

I know of one languishing in a parking lot....two-tone green, all there, decent, working (even radio) only things amiss are incorrect (but not fugly) upholstery and carpet. Apparently low mileage. STICK! Any hip-shootin' guesses?

Depends on how much floor rust there is. I assume it does not run. Stick shift on a '53 Special is desireable but not extremely rare. I have run across 3 or 4 stick shift '53 Specials in the past year. Would be a very satisfying car to drive with the 263 and the stick shift, and a pretty good performer. Things to look for are: floor rust; cracked upper grille bar; stuck valves if it has been sitting a long time; missing rocker panel moldings; inner rocker panel rust. $1500? Hard to put a value on something with no photos.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Thanks Pete, your opinion is gold. There are some big pluses: it runs; all molding are intact; no cracks in the grille; absolutely no body rust showing except at bottom rear of the rear door sills, only visible when doors are open, and those are minor spots (but perforated). Haven't crawled under it. Car is out of Oklahoma judging by license and service receipts in the glove compartment. I have some photos on my cell but I haven't yet figured out how to e-mail them to myself and hence to post here. It's a decent car. Stay tuned.....

Guest my3buicks

Well, that's just real decent looking, not what I was picturing in my mind. Straighten the license plate and a set of wheelcovers and you are good to go.

Yes, I would have to change my suggestion of $1500 since I did that without the benefit of photos, and assumed the car did not run. That appears to be the original upholstery on the front seat, which helps to verify the low miles on the car. This just goes to show me (and everyone else) how foolish it is to price a car without seeing photos first. I learned my lesson and made myself look foolish to everyone else.

Pete Phillips

Thanks for observations guys.

Pete, I think your opinion was completely reasonable, don't fall on your sword!

In related developments: I met with the seller who tried to get the car started....and couldn't. He had told me it ran; what I witnessed was a lack of fuel delivery; it would catch for a few seconds with gas poured down the carb but immediately quit. He then told me that the gas in the tank is likely >5 years old. Also, the carb leaked like a sieve with the gas poured in. So, at the very least, it needs a carb rebuild, fuel filter, tank cleaned out, and the fuel pump is a question mark. The seating surfaces have indeed been reupholstered, but just those: under the butt and behind the back. All the rest of the surfaces on the seats appear to be original. The carpet is incorrect in appearance and feel, not to mention color. The finish is a repaint of about 2007 vintage, and not a bad one. some minr bubbling is now noticed at bottom of driver's rear fender. The seller said he'd try to get it running and call me when it was.

Guest my3buicks
Yes, I would have to change my suggestion of $1500 since I did that without the benefit of photos, and assumed the car did not run. That appears to be the original upholstery on the front seat, which helps to verify the low miles on the car. This just goes to show me (and everyone else) how foolish it is to price a car without seeing photos first. I learned my lesson and made myself look foolish to everyone else.

Pete Phillips

Not at all Pete, I don't think there was one of us that didn't have the same picture in our heads.

Pete Phillips

Ah , Pete, don't be so hard on yourself. You qualified your estimate with things that MIGHT be wrong. And you were right on as far as that goes. Different situation now.

Nice car, by the way.

Ben

My 55 Special was rubber front, carpet back...to continue this line of questioning.
Morning Mikey.

Ben

mornin Ben, mornin Mikey, and to continue this line of questioning even further... my '54 Century still has the original rubber front and carpet back....as did all '54 series except Roadmaster unless ordered w/custom interior or with carpet front. or somethin like that

oh, and nice '53, someone should be making an offer