55 Dynaflow

Guest greenmachine

Guest greenmachine

Hi Everyone I have a 55 Buick Special 4dr sedan with a 264? auto. dynaflow, I would like to know will a auto. dynaflow from a 55 Buick Century inerchang from the 322 to the 264:confused:

Yes, but the torque converter will be a bit different, I think, to optimize the performance of a smaller or larger engine. It would "bolt in" though. If it is a runner, bolt it in and run it, and use the time to rebuild your original...

In this time frame, once Buick went to V-8 engines for all series, the Dynaflow transmissions were all tha same as Willy says above except for the greater length on the Series 50 and 70 cars due to the use of the larger and longer GM "C" body. In 1953, the series 40 cars with the last of the straight eights had a different torque converter from the other series with the V-8 engines. The torque converters on the straight eights were matched to the torque characteristics of this engine and the same was done for the V-8 engines in the other series. The gearboxes were very similar except for some minor differences as well as the length.

Joe, BCA 33493

The two transmissions are exactly the same and will be a direct interchange. Only the larger series (50/70...Super/Roadmaster) are different (~1" longer).

Willie

And the difference between 50/70 and the smaller series' is in the output shaft housing & shaft. If one is looking for a replacement and finds the "wrong" one for his/her car they can swap out the output shaft and housing and they are good to go. Might give one more options if looking for what is a pretty rare junkyard find these days...