Wanted: 1934 Plymouth PF Hood Ornament

Guest design117

• 6 years later...

Hello 

I have obtained a stainless steel prototype that I sold to a gentleman over 12 years ago. The current owner was kind enough to send the excellent example to be used for making another mold for investment casting. I will be casting using sterling silver with hardening alloys. Using silver reduces the expense of chrome plating, plus the plating washes out a significant amount of the precise detail of the hood ornament. The silver can be polished and then coated with clearcoat. 
The first castings are very expensive and I am trying to keep the final cost below $500. I plan to produce at least quantity 20 and the cost will be $450 each plus shipping. The cost of silver is around $28 per ounce and the 1934 Plymouth hood ornament requires approximately 5 ounces. Please let me know if you would like to be included in the first batch of 20. I use the lost wax method for casting and shrinkage is less than 1.5 %. I adjust the mounting holes to allow for this minimal shrinkage. 

Thanks,
Barry Borum 
1808 Brantley Avenue NW 
Cullman, Alabama 35055
256 527 0763

• 4 months later...

Hi Barry, just a thought but why don't you cast in aluminium alloy or brass, before retiring I was a loss wax tool maker, I have someone close by that does a little casting for me, he uses scrap car wheels for his aluminium casting and they are much superior than the old pot metal.

Tom