65 GS motor removal

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

Hey guys, been a while.

I have a new project going to pull a LX w/AC.

Do I have to disconnect the AC compressor?

Can I pull the motor with the exhaust manifolds attached?

Mike

Yes the manifolds can stay on while pulling the motor. You don't have to remove the compressor to remove the engine, but you have to discharge the A/C and disconnect the hoses from

the compressor, so I would take it completely off and get it out of the way. Also if I were you I would go ahead and remove the pulleys and the alternator and power steering pump and their respective brackets and get them out of the way. On the p/s pump, remove the hoses from the pump and tie them off to the left hood hinge.

Tie the A/c hoses off to the right hood hinge. You will need to remove the fan and shroud. I think you can snake it out without pulling the radiator, but I'm not certain of that.

If the a/c is holding a charge now, you can leave everything connected to the compressor and tie it off the side while pulling the engine. As Bill states, best to pull the radiator and if possible, move the condenser out of the way as well. MUCH easier if you leave the transmission in the car as well.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest clamshells

Going to try and sneak it out without losing the A/C charge. Main thing for me is those exhaust manifolds intact.

Thank you guys!